• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Storage - Oil Practices

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If I changed the oil before I parked the RV for a few months I would not change it again when you get ready to use it. The oil is still brand new. Any condensation that may accumulate in the crank case is very minor and will dissipate pretty quickly as you get to operating temps. There are a LOT more things to worry about than condensation in your engine. ? (y)

Best thing is to buy a spray fogging agent follow the directions and close it up for the winter with the old oil. Ad stabile or something like that to the fuel. Next year After driving it for Fifteen minutes or more perform an oil change this will help pull moisture out of the engine and small settled debris as well.

On my Dad's farm which was located in the north, we always changed to new oil (both gas and diesel) prior to winter storage. Always bring the engine up to full temps prior to draining the oil. IMHO, I can't imagine that storing used oil in the crankcase over the winter is better than storing new oil. We also never started the engines during the winter season unless naturally they were needed for work.

On my Dad's farm which was located in the north, we always changed to new oil (both gas and diesel) prior to winter storage. Always bring the engine up to full temps prior to draining the oil. IMHO, I can't imagine that storing used oil in the crankcase over the winter is better than storing new oil. We also never started the engines during the winter season unless naturally they were needed for work.
Its like this if your old oil isn’t safe enough to sit over the winter it’s not safe period. Things happen in an engine every day expansion contraction like your gas tank sitting outside air moves in and out every day it has moisture and contaminants in it however small there getting in the oiling system through the pvc positive crankcase ventilation for those who don’t know. When an engine is ran the moisture is pulled off the contaminants some get filtered some small enough to be removed as vapors. But just sitting it’s in the oil and building.
now changing the oil before and after storage is great but that’s not how people are going to do this especially newer engines that require expensive oils. So its best to just fog the intake make sure all the fluids are good full and change the oil after running it twenty minutes or so when it comes out of storage. Always check the oil and make sure it doesn’t smell like fuel is in it as well. Just my view on this however I own two automotive shops and in my opinion and experience it is the better choice.

in case any of you still have engines powered by carburetors they can drain back into the intake which runs into the combustion chamber and then past the rings I’ve actually seen four or five that suffered rod bearing failures after being ran with several quarts of fuel mixed into the oil after sitting for the winter. Yard equipment is very likely to have this occur it’s important to change small engine oil first thing when coming out of storage.

Latest resources

Back