Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Thinking about building a multiple storage unit building in Sebastian/Vero FL area. Trying to determine size and quantity. The main unit would be owner occupied, me, and be 60x30 or so. Additional unit(s) would be either similar in size (1) or 2or3 smaller Units. Thoughts ? What size would be preferable to you.
Would have utilities and a/c.

The first thing that comes to question - is this a storage unit for "stuff" or are you building a RV storage facility?

I can tell you in my area "RV storage" is limited and hard to find. At my location there are covered and uncovered spaces, power vs no power, storage for all sizes of RV's, boats, and other things people want to store.

This would be for large toys, RV, Boat etc. 45’ deep x 20’ wide, 20’ ceiling, 14’ H x 12’ W rolling door 6” concrete slab.

I have no experience with this type of business but I would imagine you'd have to do some type of survey of what's out there, availability, cost to build, county requirements/regs as these are typically in strange locations away from population for some reason, sort of like campgrounds. I think building something of this nature is a 7 digit affair and then you have to assess your time involvement and if this is something you want to be baby sitting or going out and enjoying the RV lifestyle exploring and living your best RV life as stated on the RVF koozies :)

I know there are several others on this site that are familiar with this type of business venture from land, regs, costs, employees, etc. Hope they can give you some insight.

This would be for large toys, RV, Boat etc. 45’ deep x 20’ wide, 20’ ceiling, 14’ H x 12’ W rolling door 6” concrete slab.
@Joe Hogan ...

I own a unit at Naples Motor Condos 20' x 52' 12' wide door and 20' ceiling height. It has A/C, 50 amp and plumbing with sewage. Most of the units here are 25' x 50' with 14' wide doors.

IMO 50' length is the minimum you should consider and although 20' wide works, 25' is ideal.

Joe I have been looking at the storage business for a couple of years now and unfortunately land cost in CA are prohibitively expensive unless you are out in the Central Valley where there is less population density. I would encourage you to talk to the people at Mako (MakoRabco | Self-Storage Construction | Steel Building Supplier) about your interest in building a storage business. They have a lot of good free information as well. Also consider those that have 45 foot coaches and you may want to build some 45 ft+ units. Just a thought. As they say in real estate location is everything. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back