RV Length
36'
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
Fiat 500 Turbo
Fulltimer
No
I recently attended a Newmar Kountry Klub rally that was put on in Newport, OR by the new Oregon Directors, DJ & Linda. I had a wonderful time there. One of the morning sessions was "Tips & Tricks" where Newmar owners could share with other attendees. One of the attendees shared with the group how he had purchased and installed what are called "Stainless Fuel Door Trim" pieces to his rig and how, due to their design (a flared lip that at the bottom projects out about 1/4" from the coach, like a drip edge on a house roof), they helped to prevent diesel from running down the side of their coach. These were designed and now offered by the same company, Summit Products, which supplies the stainless trim work for bay doors and such to Newmar as an OEM supplier. Supposedly, these were intended for factory installation on King Aires at one point. RV Stainless | Summit Products

I decided that at only $30 + S&H for a pair (one order handles both fuel doors on each side of the coach), there was little risk or harm in trying something out that another owner was swearing was the best thing to come around since sliced bread. I reached out to Summit Products and after some time on the phone the customer service rep was able to figure out the name of what I was requesting as they are not listed on their web site or their catalog. A few days later I received them and installed them last weekend.

Installation on my 2023 Newmar New Aire was simple. I cleaned up the side of the rig underneath and inside of the bottom of the fuel fill door. I then also used isopropyl alcohol to clean where the supplied 3M adhesive tape inside the door would stick down into. Using clear silicon sealant/adhesive I laid a bead inside the fuel door to aim and direct any fuel drips to the inside edge of where the stainless trim would be installed. After removing the tape on the 3M adhesive tape, I then carefully positioned and pressed the stainless trim piece where it belonged with that inside edge against the wet/malleable silicon. Before removing the protective film from the stainless I wet my finger and smoothed out the silicon sealant to ensure no diesel could go under or around the newly installed trim piece. Viola!

Will they work? I have no idea. The owner who had installed these on his Ventana and pitched these at the rally was 100% sold on them. I've seen some comments online that vary from "worthless" to "best thing ever". Unfortunately, with online comments, anybody can comment on something whether they own it or not (like Yelp reviews -- everybody is a food critic whether they've actually eaten there or not). Have you installed them? I would love to hear from anybody who has and if they have helped or not. In about a year I'll report back on my own experience with them.

Best,
-Mark

Attachments

• 20240928_123624.jpg
    20240928_123624.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 20240928_125732.jpg
    20240928_125732.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20240928_130017.jpg
    20240928_130017.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 20240928_130150.jpg
    20240928_130150.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240928_130159.jpg
    20240928_130159.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
I’ve not had good luck with those. I hope your luck will be better.

The best trick I have in my bag is forming a gasket around the nozzle with a couple of paper towels and slowing the flow when I think it’s near full.

Best solution I have seen is a silicon cookie sheet where a hole to fit over the fill pipe, big enough to force that spill away from the paint. (Not a permanent install type thing)

I have them and they help somewhat. But I have used oil/fuel absorbing pads around the nozzle to catch any burping back. They work well.

Latest resources

Back