Super Newbs starting to shop for an RV

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@MapNerd nailed it.

Find a floorplan your DW and you can live with. The kids/ grandkids thing doesn't always work out. We built our first coach. We were sure the kids and GK's would want to do the camping thing. We had the pull out coach, drop down bunk, convertible dinette. Two years with that coach, one trip with kids and grands. Next coach was sized for us, if they show up we figure it out.

Best of luck.

This is brand new to us. We both retired in our mid 50s, and are planning to start shopping for a class A or C. The wife envisions an RV that we can drive across the country, and not tow a car behind it. I am fairly sure that even if we got a smaller class C, we would eventually realize we have to tow a small car. That’s no big deal, I cannot imagine that I would not be the driver 100% of the time.
What’s your advice as we begin to shop? I’ve owned older cruising sailboats for years and am a firm believer that in terms of safety, comfort and fun, one should buy as big a vehicle as they are comfortable with.
I would appreciate any and all advice.thanks!!
I had the idea also (no tow vehicle) at first, Thinking that we were just rent a car every time we stopped someplace and needed a car 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. First of all, it might not be possible to get a rental car. Secondly everything that Mapnerd said.

After 40+ Years in the Boat and RV business and owning 9 motor homes and using an unknown number of company coaches I will say you have received some excellent advice so far. My experience and advice given to a lot of customers is, a class A if it fits your budget will be easier to drive and allow you to see more of the scenery than a C. Most C chassis are close to the max GVW before adding any gear or passengers. This will make it less stable handling than a comparable size A. You will also see more C’s with front roof and sidewall damage than A’s because it is a big learning curve to learn that sitting down in that van cab with 4 or 5 feet overhead and 1 1/2 ft or so out on the side, this causes some depth perception problem for most folks until they get use to it. In an A you will be up closer to the top and only inches from the side making your clearance perception more like a car or pickup. I drove between Dallas TX and Key West FL several times before getting my 1st A motor home. The wife and I could not believe the scenery we were missing when we made that same trip in the motor home. Sitting up in a class A lets you see over cars and fences things you can’t see from a van.
Size is almost impossible for someone to give you good advise. That is a personal preference and comfort zone. 31 to 36 is my comfort zone when towing a toad and a tow car is a must. We enjoyed camping and traveling in our bigger rigs but for me driving, there were more white knuckles and clenched teeth in city driving and parking. “But to each his own”.
Buy Quality. Most of the coaches listed in previous posts would be on my short list.

After 40+ Years in the Boat and RV business and owning 9 motor homes and using an unknown number of company coaches I will say you have received some excellent advice so far. My experience and advice given to a lot of customers is, a class A if it fits your budget will be easier to drive and allow you to see more of the scenery than a C. Most C chassis are close to the max GVW before adding any gear or passengers. This will make it less stable handling than a comparable size A. You will also see more C’s with front roof and sidewall damage than A’s because it is a big learning curve to learn that sitting down in that van cab with 4 or 5 feet overhead and 1 1/2 ft or so out on the side, this causes some depth perception problem for most folks until they get use to it. In an A you will be up closer to the top and only inches from the side making your clearance perception more like a car or pickup. I drove between Dallas TX and Key West FL several times before getting my 1st A motor home. The wife and I could not believe the scenery we were missing when we made that same trip in the motor home. Sitting up in a class A lets you see over cars and fences things you can’t see from a van.
Size is almost impossible for someone to give you good advise. That is a personal preference and comfort zone. 31 to 36 is my comfort zone when towing a toad and a tow car is a must. We enjoyed camping and traveling in our bigger rigs but for me driving, there were more white knuckles and clenched teeth in city driving and parking. “But to each his own”.
Buy Quality. Most of the coaches listed in previous posts would be on my short list.
Adding to the above. Buy the best you can afford. It’s better to spend more than you want, than less than you should. The bitterness of poor quality will linger long after the sweetness of a cheap price is gone. That being said in today’s business world quality may be hard to find. The quality of some of the old brands known for their quality are being compromised by the p&l decisions being made in the board room by the holding company that now owns them. Your dealer may your best resource however, many of them are experiencing the same fate as the manufacturer all at some point are limited by the support of the manufacturer. Remember your rv is just parts and pieces and most can be replaced or fixed. RVing is a great life style.
You have free will. Don’t let anything that’s out of your control keep you from enjoying life.

@MapNerd, @10thtp, Do you have any thoughts about any of the Super Cs? I am also in the process of researching a purchase. My research, at least thus far, agrees with your assessments/comments. I am headed to the FL RV Super Show this weekend to continue the process.

Last edited:
@MapNerd, @10thtp, Do you have any thoughts about any of the Super Cs? I am also in the process of researching a purchase. My research, at least thus far, agrees with your assessments/comments. I am headed to the FL RV Super Show this weekend to continue the process.
Personally, I find them not worth the typical asking price unless you need to pull some serious weight. Super-Cs are most intended for those who need to pull a large trailer or heavy item with them. Think NASCAR pit crew pulling a mobile garbage full of tools and parts, or someone pulling a large boat or maybe even a double stacker trailer loaded with a heavy vehicle and lots of other heavy stuff. Perhaps someone who wants to pull a large horse trailer.

If you don’t have that need, a Super-C tends to get you a high price, with less space than a Class A, but often a similar length creating the same length restrictions you might encounter with a tag axle diesel pusher. You do often get air ride seats and driver and passenger doors though, so there’s that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back