• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Terminal Di Electric Dressing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Yes. This is my go-to dielectric grease.
IMG_5019.png

Last edited:
You can buy wire nuts with the grease already inside the nut.

I can't see where wire nuts would be of use on batter terminals, but anyway. Over the years I've tried about every "battery terminal" spray I've seen. And none of it has been worth a flip. I keep going back to good old dielectric silicone like RandyB linked to. Also good to use on about every other electrical connection you have. I use it religiously on motorcycle wiring in particular as about all of their wiring is so exposed to the elements. Still open minded about a better battery terminal protector but I have low expectations.

Also helps that I have box of dielectric grease tubes, enough to last my life and then some. I was talking to a satellite installation guy and noticed him toss a tube of it into a box. He said a new tube came with every satellite kit. Since he only needed a couple of dabs of it for each one it was terrible overkill. One tube lasted him like ten installations. Ended up offering ten bucks for the whole box and he took it.

For lead acid battery terminals an old tech told me put a small drop of motor oil on the top of the terminals let gravity distribute the oil around the terminals and base. Claims is it keeps out corrosion and seals the plastic ring so no gas or acid gets past at the base of the terminals.

I saw that verbatim advice somewhere else. Still can't figure out what the "plastic ring" is.

I saw that verbatim advice somewhere else. Still can't figure out what the "plastic ring" is.
Post seal and method of manufacture for lead-acid batteries
United States Patent 4752545

Abstract:
A lead-acid battery includes a case having an apertured cover with the aperture being for passage of a terminal post therethrough for electrically connecting electrodes within the battery case to apparatus outside the battery, with the terminal post extending through the aperture. A rubber layer, devoid of rubber fillers and plasticizers, circumferentially surrounds the post at the aperture. A rubber-bonding epoxy polymer is between the rubber layer and the aperture through the case. A method of securely sealing a battery post within an aperture passing through a lead-acid battery case includes the steps of applying a rubber undercoat which is devoid of fillers and plasticizers annularly about the battery post portion which is closest to the aperture when the post is secured with the aperture, positioning the post within and annularly spaced from the aperture with the annular undercoat proximate to the aperture and filling space within the aperture between the annular undercoat and the battery case with a rubber bonding epoxy material thereby bonding to the annular undercoat and to the battery case.

or here

"Abstract". I had a college professor who spoke like that. Had the ability to render the entire class comatose in under five minutes. I read at least that part and noted no literal mention of a "plastic ring" in that jumble of techno babble. I've been testing automotive batteries (up to a dozen a day) as part of my work for over 40 years now and have yet to note any batteries leaking or out-gassing around the post area. Maybe it's a thing but I can say I've yet to personally see any evidence of it. I shall keep an eye out though.

In the white paper there is also no mention of a plastic ring. They do talk about double o-rings as seals though. They unfortunately don't specify what type of rubber those o-rings are composed of. O-rings made to resist sulfuric acid and water are not necessarily oil resistant and often petroleum products can attack and soften many kinds of rubber. So applying oil to such seals without knowing their composition might not be the best idea. All types of rubber, natural and synthetic, used in seals and o-rings as far as I know are quite compatible with silicone grease though.

Another note on the white paper. They have a couple of illustrations of battery post leakage. Both are very obviously NOT automotive applications not batteries designed for automotive use. Notable also at the bottom the paper was posted by the "stationary battery division". It may be that the information presented doesn't really apply to batteries built for use in vehicles that might be more robustly built. They don't specify either way though.

Latest resources

Back