• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Welcome to the group.

White Rock Beach. Where are you from?
Adam
White Rock!!?? Imagine that! We full time but our base is in Canmore, Alberta now. We used to live in Poco, Calgary and then in Sooke for about 7 years. Right now we are at.............. Peace Arch RV Park!!! We are staging to cross the border on the 15th. We spend the winter south.

When you said Vancouver Beach I expected Kits or English Bay. Anyway, I think you will find that this is a good forum. Lots of good info available on all kinds of topics.

Darrell

White Rock!!?? Imagine that! We full time but our base is in Canmore, Alberta now. We used to live in Poco, Calgary and then in Sooke for about 7 years. Right now we are at.............. Peace Arch RV Park!!! We are staging to cross the border on the 15th. We spend the winter south.

When you said Vancouver Beach I expected Kits or English Bay. Anyway, I think you will find that this is a good forum. Lots of good info available on all kinds of topics.

Darrell
Yes, I usually just say Vancouver as most Americans would not know where White Rock is. We are just starting to shop for our full-time RV. I have to say after Covid prices have gotten a little crazy. They have pretty much doubled in price since the last time we looked . So we are rethinking the size of RV. We were mostly looking at 42 feet, but are now considering scaling that down. What are your thoughts of size when you’re in it full-time. We actually just purchased a new condo in White rock that is being built so we will come back there for a few months every year as well. Did Taxes play a part when making your base in Alberta? I have considered that for that reason.
Adam

Our summer home base is Birch Bay!

Before settling on a 42 footer, research the places you want to travel for size limitations. Our DP at 40 feet sometimes limits us from state and national parks.

Our summer home base is Birch Bay!

Before settling on a 42 footer, research the places you want to travel for size limitations. Our DP at 40 feet sometimes limits us from state and national parks.
Oh sorry, that must have been another thread I was reading. We were thinking that. We are more geared towards State and National parks rather than R.V. Resorts.

Yes, I usually just say Vancouver as most Americans would not know where White Rock is. We are just starting to shop for our full-time RV. I have to say after Covid prices have gotten a little crazy. They have pretty much doubled in price since the last time we looked . So we are rethinking the size of RV. We were mostly looking at 42 feet, but are now considering scaling that down. What are your thoughts of size when you’re in it full-time. We actually just purchased a new condo in White rock that is being built so we will come back there for a few months every year as well. Did Taxes play a part when making your base in Alberta? I have considered that for that reason.
Adam
We gave a lot of consideration into the size of our coach. Just an FYI, we have owned tent, tent trailer, travel trailer, class C then a larger class C before our now class A. We purchased the shortest class A we could find simply because we did not want to any restrictions about were we could park. The Class A because there is more usable storage space (plus an onboard generator) than a class C and given that we rarely stay anywhere longer than two weeks, much easier to break camp than with a travel trailer or fifth wheel. Prior to full timing, we knew that we spent most of our time "outside". All we needed was a place to be comfortable in during inclement weather. Our 28 foot has worked very well (for the two of us and our dog) for the last six years. If I were to do it again, I would probably go two feet more depending on the floor plan and options. I suggest you find something that you will feel comfortable in. Just remember, the larger you are the more restricted you will be depending on your style of camping. If you have been out and about, you will know that the Provincial and State Parks in the Pacific North West area tend to have short narrow camp sites. This fact weighted heavily on our choice of units. We also purchased in Alberta. No Provincial Sales TAX on new or used! 7% on any large amount of money is tough to swallow.

Our move to Alberta was based partly on taxes but on government in general as well (plus we were so sick of BC Ferries. We ended up using Washington State Ferries to get off of the Island). Canmore was chosen because of the super strong resale value of property and partly because we thought it would be a nice place to live. Sadly, livability is not a strong asset for the area. Once we decide that being nomads has lost it's luster, we will sell and find a different place to hunker down.

Good luck in your search. One piece of advice I'm sure the rest of the group will agree on.....Make sure you have your intended unit professionally inspected. We read so many horror stories about units shabbily manufactured during COVID and poorly maintained.

Darrell

Welcome to RVforums from Ely Iowa

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back