Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

The days of same day booking for parks seem to be gone.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

cwarkenton

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Monaco
RV Model
Diplomat 40SFT
RV Length
Engine
ISL
TOW/TOAD
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Hi Guys, I am a long time lurker but just registered an account to ask the community a question that has me frustrated. My family and I have been rv'ing for over 10 years. Originally with a 5ver and now with a 41' Monaco Diplomat flat towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
We are planning a 2 month trip in July and August. I did book a couple must stop locations parks back in March and now fine tuning the trip and trying to book other places that are 2-3 night stays. Every single park I call is booked and it is annoying and frustrating. Before Covid I feel like we would book the destination then call the RV park the day before to book and rarely did we not get a spot.
Here's my question. I know there are pro boondockers on here. How realistic would be to wing it and rely on boondocking in our set up? We are going to Ashland OR, Bend, Snoqualmie WA, then over to Sun Valley ID.
I know some people who only boondock but it seems like they base their trip around boondocking friendly areas. That whole thing is pretty new to me. Normally I try to stay in a park with a hot tub hahah
Thanks in advance!
-Chris

Simple question!

How else would you expect to boondock,, but to plan around boondock friendly areas? I only boondock, and drive without rig to the sights I desire to see.

Look at it this way.

You have a Harley, and a toy hauler. Do you drive the bike to Sturgess, or pull the toy hauler there, and use the bike to engage in the bike activity.

The answer is somewhat cloudy, and based on what your heart desires.

A Harley, definitely trailer it, a Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha or Suzuki, definitely ride it!
LOL I did a summer on a 1500 wing! I wished I had received my cargo early enough to have trailered it to the best scenery. Lot of nothing between great motorcycle roads.

We're planning a 2+ month trip to Washington state, Oregon, and Colorado, and I made the most important long-term (2+ days) reservations early this year. I'd hoped to make the one-night stops as we go - we traveled from Oregon to Texas in late September last year and had no problems finding places to stay.
We've noticed that even in extremely popular parks that are fully booked, not all reservers show up. We were extremely frustrated to watch one prime spot go unused for 2 days while we were stuck right across from it in a nearly unlevelable site. But we understand the dilemma of park owners, and rv'ers unexpected emergencies. So, even if a site is available, they still must hold it for whomever paid for it.
Anyhow, I think I'm going to go ahead and nail down a few more reservations today 😆

We're planning a 2+ month trip to Washington state, Oregon, and Colorado, and I made the most important long-term (2+ days) reservations early this year. I'd hoped to make the one-night stops as we go - we traveled from Oregon to Texas in late September last year and had no problems finding places to stay.
We've noticed that even in extremely popular parks that are fully booked, not all reservers show up. We were extremely frustrated to watch one prime spot go unused for 2 days while we were stuck right across from it in a nearly unlevelable site. But we understand the dilemma of park owners, and rv'ers unexpected emergencies. So, even if a site is available, they still must hold it for whomever paid for it.
Anyhow, I think I'm going to go ahead and nail down a few more reservations today 😆
It is frustrating, though I have found that some parks are willing to do a little digging/calling and a few times they told us the other spot is now available if we wanted it, or in the case of the current park in OR they told us that if we wanted to stay longer a reservation was just cancelled and would we want it.

In the current campground market, reservations are set and cancelled with some frequency. Checking back often may yield an opening. Extra work and frustrating, yes.
Am I happy with the process, no. But since it is out of my control I am trying to focus on what I can control.

We have been spending more time working on our boondocking skills. Not just being prepared to not have hookups but the skills involved in finding boondocking places. This has alleviated some stress/frustration for me.

You can give Harvest Host a try. Look it up, for a small yearly fee you can stay at restaurants, breweries, farms, and much more. And yes you are boon docking but there always a place to stay.

Last year on a 6000 mile trip out west we stayed at an abandoned missile silo, a beautiful winery on a golf course, Pub & eatery, beautiful lake and much more on Harvest Host.

HH

Just an FYI.... I also use an app called RV Parky on my Iphone that is very handy on finding RV parks in a specific area.

HH

You can give Harvest Host a try. Look it up, for a small yearly fee you can stay at restaurants, breweries, farms, and much more. And yes you are boon docking but there always a place to stay.

Last year on a 6000 mile trip out west we stayed at an abandoned missile silo, a beautiful winery on a golf course, Pub & eatery, beautiful lake and much more on Harvest Host.

HH
I just canceled my HH membership - never used it - there didn't seem to be any decent stops along our route from Texas to Washington state.

We have always booked anywhere from 2 months to 1 month in advance. RVParky is my main app I use.

It is all about the miles per day. I try to find a site maybe 300 miles down the road. If there isn’t anything available then I simply adjust my miles until I get a site booked. It could be 400 miles or it could be 250 miles. Or, I might find a good bargain for a 2 night stay that saves some money, then a longer travel day after that.

My point is it takes some mapping and planning. In all of our years of full time traveling we have never had issues finding sites.

Latest resources

Back