• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Thefts in Parks - What steps to take

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Unfortunately this is not a new problem. Theft in campgrounds or boondocking is a real but somewhat uncommon problem.

In my world I do my best to avoid issues and work hard to avoid the temptation for the Opportunistic thieves. Also, work hard to avoid areas where theft is more prevalent. No Boondock at Walmart, Truck or Rest stops or other populated and uncontrolled spaces unless there is no other choice. Many have had great success stopping at these venues, it is just not for me.

On the bright side some basic precautions can be very effective.

The first defense is choosing your campground wisely. Find a campground where ex-cons may be hanging out in long term living, you're at higher risk. Go to more luxurious and transient campgrounds with amenities, etc. then that will lower your risk. Want to be cheap and save money, it may cost you a lot more in the end. Be smart on your choices of where to stay and that includes Walmarts because you don't want to spend $ for a campground.

Reason # 114 not to be a member of Thousand Trails.
Unfortunately, 1K Trails has gone downhill for the past 10 years or so. That’s the reason why we finally dropped our legacy membership (one of the very first ones) a few years back. They were letting non-members come into a lot of the parks and staffing was reduced to the point that there was no official presence in many of the parks we used to enjoy. As soon as you put venture capitalists in charge of an RV park organization, you can be sure they will strip all the value out of it.

TJ

It's pretty much a given that the thieves are not 70 year old campers. The thieves are sneaking in from outside the park. Also, you can bet that things like your bbq and chairs are not what they want to steal. As I said earlier, it's the new e-bikes they are looking for. Just locking them up is not enough. take a wheel off and/or remove the battery and hang a sign on it saying so. OR put them away where they can't be gotten to.

I spent 16 1/2 years in Police work. I've seen a lot in that time, First if you are going to carry a pistol with you while traveling always keep it under your control. If you are in your camper it should be in your camper, if your in your truck it should be in your truck. As others have mentioned keep everything locked and secured as best you can. Neal made a good point. Use nice camp grounds. In Texas we have State Parks and they for the most part are kept up well and are less expensive, They have Park Rangers that patrol the parks and you can see a Game Warden from time to time. If my wife and I are camping we look for the nicer parks or a State Park. As for the increase in new campers I do think Covid played a big part in it. Just think safe when out camping.

All - If you can afford it, high end RV parks first, Usually, good sam parks with ratings 8 or higher for all amenities. Lots of Private Campgrounds which are also good. Corps of Engineer Parks, and most state parks are also good. Remember, theare are mostly good people, some medium people, and some bad people. Normally, you can tell what kind of people you are dealing with by noticing external things, is the RV well maintained; are the people loud; do they pick up after dog; do they keep campsite clean and free of lots of stuff, or hanging out laundry, kids run amok, dog not on leash? Lots of movement into that spot; numerious cars and traffic? Normally, bad people, don't have means for upper high/medium campground. Yes, TT parks have some bad raps. Remember, most of them were developed back in the 60-90's. Urban areas have caught up to their locations. In Las Vegas, that TT park, has street walkers on the sidewalk out front, the gate is always manned with guard. They do not carry. If you own TT, or have friends who own TT, they know the best parks, and the parks to stay out of. Personally have never had issues and have stayed in lots of them as we are TT members. But as mentioned above, keep stuff put away, lock doors even when home. I follow all of his advice, you might consider it too.

We (I) put a lot of effort into researching CG's to use in our routing. I know how long I want to drive, when I want to be at a destination, and calculate stops accordingly. Safety is my first concern. I spent 20 years frequenting the ports of the world with Uncle Sam's canoe club, and another 20 in oil fields. I can take care of myself. I just don't wish to have to. Nor do I want my DW up all night worrying about the coach or toad. I find several candidate CG's and research until I am confident in a choice. If I have to adjust driving distance I will.

I can only imagine the denizens of some CG's seeing a high dollar rig roll in with naïve owners. Talk about a target of opportunity.

Are there more campers than before, yes.
Are some of those honesty challenged, likely yes.
Are there CG's near dodgy areas of towns that get visits from employment avoiding pleasure seeking neighbors, likely yes as well.

Can all crime be avoided or prevented. NOPE.

Can you limit your exposure? YES.

Everyone's threshold for pain is different, know yours and plan accordingly.

We (I) put a lot of effort into researching CG's to use in our routing. I know how long I want to drive, when I want to be at a destination, and calculate stops accordingly. Safety is my first concern. I spent 20 years frequenting the ports of the world with Uncle Sam's canoe club, and another 20 in oil fields. I can take care of myself. I just don't wish to have to. Nor do I want my DW up all night worrying about the coach or toad. I find several candidate CG's and research until I am confident in a choice. If I have to adjust driving distance I will.
X2 on the pre-planning and knowing exactly what type of campground you are getting ready to pay for.

No but I do not leave anything like bikes nor portable grills unsecured. It is sad that this happens as we all know, most campers are great people. It is a sub-culture of its own. I would say most culprits just may be teenage kids over the adults. But one never knows…..that is an assumption on my part.

Latest resources

Back