Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Things That Surprised You (Good & Bad), After You Started RV'ing?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The best way to look for an RV is to look for manufacturers that have dedicated service departments at their factory! Rather than sending that part of their responsibility to dealers.
This, to me, is one of the top priorities, if not number 1. Waiting fir a dealer to get around to fixing stuff while your life is sitting in their parking lot for several months is the pits.

Of course I have learned to find the most reputable mobile techs in each area that I stop and on the routes that I travel often. Ifind it critical to know who to call, when I cannot get to the Service Center.

I was surprised by the number of mods that I would be doing myself, and how cheaply many things were done orhow poorly several things were designed.

Certainly, it was surprising hiw instantly I got addicted to camping. Most trips are too short, even the long ones.😎

How little I knew about coaches. Took a long time to learn how things work and or operate. Made a lot of stupid errors along the way. Still learning.
Sheridan, my gosh, it took you months to figure out how to turn the Ninja on and then more months to learn you can cook more than tofu and sprouts on it. You're still confused as to why white sauce is totally unacceptable on barbeque. :D

Is it true as was claimed on a YouTube video that it costs about $3,000 a year in maintenance alone on top of all your other costs to live in an RV full time?
Shrug.gif

Is it true as was claimed on a YouTube video that it costs about $3,000 a year in maintenance alone on top of all your other costs to live in an RV full time? View attachment 24667
I must have missed that but it sounds about right—insurance, oil changes, tire amortization etc.

I wish yearly maintenance was only $3000 a year. But not complaining, would rather have the RV than stay in hotels or VRBO.

Is it true as was claimed on a YouTube video that it costs about $3,000 a year in maintenance alone on top of all your other costs to live in an RV full time? View attachment 24667
Many things that are often not considered at initial purchase. The cost varies according tothe typeof RV.A pull behind trailer likely being the least expensive to maintain. If you livre in an RV fulltime (most trailers not built for this). There will likely be more wear and tear.

- tire replacement every 5 -six years - many more tires than just a car - at least six in a motorhome (A or C).
- more batteries to replace in 5-7 years - my class C had 3, including the chassis battery. My class A has 7.

Even withthe trailer, you have tires and batteries for two units.

You can save a lot of money doing routine maintenance yourself. Many do not keep up with everything.
- things to be serviced yearly
— furnace
— hot water heater
—air conditioners
— refrigerator
— perhaps a generator
— engine and chassis service
— roof, all seals checked and repaired, as needed. These should be checked
regularly
—- leveliing jacks
— lp system
— I have both the lp system and water system pressure checked once a year
——- good thing. This year they found a leak fromthe weld seems of the regulator. They replaced the regulator and the new one failed the pressure test. The next one worked. Glad the professionals were working on this and not me.
— insurance was already mentioned
— vehicle registration, and personal propery tax on the rv in many states

Someoneonce told me that buying an RV is like buying a n additional house and an additional vehicle. There is pretty much no fun way to do it cheaply.

Never thought of all of the duplicate tools, meters, special truck or RV gps, etc., I would have to carry with me.

Btw, repairs are part of maintenance, as things break and wear out along the way.

Yikes, look at all the money I could save if I got rid of this thing!

Naw, this is too much fun.😎🥸

I guess it could be! But it doesn't have to be!

Let me explain!

Recently there was a buying spree for tires. Average I think was about 6 grand for the new shoes. Not out of Line for commercial tires. Last month a rock scuffed a hole in one of my trailer tires! 120 for a 10ply rated tire. 4 of those puppies, 500 out the door. The small fifth I have lived in for four years, doesn't have what the 6 tires for a motor home, cost in maintenance + cost of rig in all four years!!!

Full time implies no house cost like utilities. If you wanted to count grid costs ( I have solar), then that cost of brick and mortar, could be considered savings on maintenance. I always included generator maintenance,and fuel as a utility bill, but now that is toy money! Cost for Solar is in no way comparable to the same on the plantation!

In summary:

To live full time in a RV you can live frugal, or as extravagant as your pocket will allow.

The only time I would return to the east is to visit family! It doesn't fit My pocketbook.

In your investigation you need to consider how you want to live!

If you live on modist means, then consider the YouTube channel "cheap RV living" for some of your research.

If money is not a concern, then you are at The Right place!

Latest resources

Back