Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Thinking of carrying a spare DEF head?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My work truck is a 2018 Kenworth with a 6.7L Cummins that I own and maintain as if it were my RV. My def head went out 4 weeks ago. The dealer put in my factory new unopened spare under warranty. The one they ordered still isn't here. I got lucky because they took care of me but I would have paid that bill regardless. With a warranty or not, without a spare I would be down 4 plus weeks as of now and still counting. I have two sensors on order at two different dealers right now, both have been on order 4+ weeks. There is no sensor expectation to replace it. What would you do without a spare? You will need to be prepared to leave your coach and fly home or stay put for extended lengths of time if you don't travel with a spare. My truck has gone through 2 in 52000 miles. This is only an issue to the newer DEF systems that do REGENs not the older DEF systems that just add DEF to the exhaust. The problem is that def crystalizes and ruins the sensors despite whether its fresh or old (old DEF will accelerate the crystallization) and the manufacture cant keep up production with the failures. Also to keep in mind, DEF has a shelf life and if stored it should be stored inside the house in the AC not outside in the elements. If you have a REGEN system, be careful where you purchase your DEF. The level you keep the tank has no bearing on the failure but worse problems happen to the DPF if you run it out of DEF. There's no solution now or in the near future other than frequent replacing of the sensors when they fail. I don't anticipate things clearing up anytime soon. More likely, this is the new norm for a few years. If you don't have a spare, order one so you can have one in hand or one on the way. My spare was about $400 shipped. Its not about if it will fail because it is absolutely 100% going to fail. This is exactly why I ordered a gas A.

Last edited:
Just spoke with my Uncle whose company does truck repairs. Safety's claims (covers FL, NC, GA and SC) said there are no DEF heads in the country. They are dealing with Peterbuilt, Kenworth and Freightliner trucks. He mentioned a company in Ocala, FL has 6 2019 semi's and none are moving - all need DEF heads. I agree with @KR1973, I don't' think there will be a solution now or in the near future. I hope I'm wrong. I wouldn't mind having a spare though.

There is a solution in the form of an emulator. Public details are just now coming out, and more will be posted soon.

The device will clear all errors and derates. It does not alter or affect the operation of any emissions systems, and leaves no trace behind of being used.

The device can be used for as long as you need until a replacement head is available.

Best of all....it is open source.

In looking for DEF head alternatives so we are prepared in a failure, ran across a post from a OTR driver who found a temporary solution to avoid needing a tow.

Disconnect the speed sensor at the drive shaft.

Yes, as the driver you no longer know your speed, but more importantly, the computer doesn’t know your speed either. For his OTR trucks this has allowed him to keep going and avoid a tow.

Going to crawl under our rig so IF we have a derate I can try this 5 min temporary fix.

Still following these other alternatives too.

In looking for DEF head alternatives so we are prepared in a failure, ran across a post from a OTR driver who found a temporary solution to avoid needing a tow.

Disconnect the speed sensor at the drive shaft.

Yes, as the driver you no longer know your speed, but more importantly, the computer doesn’t know your speed either. For his OTR trucks this has allowed him to keep going and avoid a tow.

Going to crawl under our rig so IF we have a derate I can try this 5 min temporary fix.

Still following these other alternatives too.
This only works if you have a manual transmission. Without the speed sensor connected the transmission will not shift gears. It’s been tested on motorhomes and did not work.

This only works if you have a manual transmission. Without the speed sensor connected the transmission will not shift gears. It’s been tested on motorhomes and did not work.
Thank you, good to know.

Latest resources

Back