Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
As I read through all the issues and repairs, adjustments to the many systems on the higher end Class A it gets me concerned about various aspects of the RV experience.
I try to be a DYI person to the greatest degree possible, within given limitations.
The diesel with all its complexity and on board systems might be too much at this point in life?
We want to be comfortable and travel wide.
There is now the payload to carry most of the necessary supplies, tools For most daily activities. We also plan annual trips for service.
Oasis issues, Regen issues, etc can be trip terminating events. Don’t get me wrong I do not mind solving problems but much prefer to be home to accomplish the tasks. On the road stuff is very difficult.
Has me second guessing our decisions.

Our last major issue was Newmar Service Induced wiring problem. Newmar added an outlet incorrectly.

Thankfully we were in a parking lot filled with kind and helpful RV folks willing to help repair the issue.
Thank you again Neal and others.

Joe,

I wouldn't get too concerned. Just remember, what you read on forums such as this and other social media are predominately those who have problems. First of all, how many of the RV public actually participate on forums. Plus, hardly nobody posts that they used their coach for the last 5 years and had zero breakdowns!

I presume you are still in warranty and so if you have an issue and don't have any service center near by to get the warranty work done, consider calling Newmar or Spartan and requesting that they authorize the repair at a non-Newmar repair facility or mobile tech.

We were able to get the CanyonStar almost trouble free. Had some on the road issues that were resolved in a timely manner. But the Canyon Star was relatively simple to work on by almost anyone.
Just fretting over the unknown I guess.

IMHO The fact your thinking about the complexity built into those rigs tells me you are a wise man!!! I think the time of these MHs being a means to the end, has long died! Today if you don't want a toy to throw all your money at, a MH is a bad idea!!!

Oneword: coach net

Neal,

We have CoachNet, they have saved us a couple of times with quick, polite service.
And Skymed in case the SHTF medically. Everything and everyone gets home.

Spend way too much time on risk assessment, mitigation according to some but we travel with a calmer state of mind :)

Then do something important like watch the movie "RV" like I did sweating my 3-4 month build having never RV'd before.

It's all gonna be just fine. And if you don't try then you will never experience the amazing journey ahead. Newmar is tops and Dutch Star is an amazing coach.

I've been on the road 6 years - first with the DSDP and now LADP. Some things I could fix. Most of the time I needed help from a friend, tech, dealer or Newmar. Heck, my first year I needed a whole new engine. Crazy times. Having said that I have had no regrets. I've been having the time of my life on the road, meeting wonderful people with incredible stories, hiking and biking beautiful trails...just living large. It truly has been a grand adventure, hiccups and all.

if you find yourself grappling with second thoughts, it's a matter best left for your own contemplation and resolution. However, should your hesitation stem from a fear of the unknown, my experience has shown that choices driven by fear never turn out well.

Good luck in whatever you decide. 😊

I always tell people no matter what happens or whatever breaks and you have a toad, the worse possible scenario is you park the coach in a safe location and find the nearest hotel with a bar and wait for help to arrive. The one thing I will also say it doesn’t matter if it’s a Newmar, Tiffin, Newell or a Prevost conversion they all can have issues. I used to go crazy when things didn‘t always work and I finally learned to take deep breaths and relax. It’s all part of the adventure in these machines and destinations. Did I tell the story about the time the shore cord wouldn’t come out?

Did I tell the story about the time the shore cord wouldn’t come out?
Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Latest resources

Back