• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Time for new air bags (7 years old)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Shocks and house batteries are next for me, sometime in the spring. I had my belt replaced way early, around 55k miles, because I was at a FL shop anyway and I had been reading about peoples issues with belts, water pumps, etc. I was going on another 6-7k mile trip and with a rear radiator coach, I just didnt want to take the chance of having to do this job on the side of the road, or worse, being towed somewhere. The old belt was fine, its serving as my spare now, but I got a positive report on the condition of the water pump, idler, and everything else related.

So for me it was money well spent. I wish I had jumped on my low boost issue early rather than have it rear its ugly head halfway across the country on my last trip. I think with these rigs, preventative maintenance takes on a whole new meaning since there is so much at stake with being stranded, towing nightmares and expense, being at the mercy of an unknown shop far from home, time in hotels when forced out of the rig, etc. So changing air bags before its actually needed makes a lot of sense to me. And with a drive train that should outlast the vehicle it also makes sense to go above and beyond keeping everything else up to snuff.

I think with these rigs, preventative maintenance takes on a whole new meaning since there is so much at stake with being stranded, towing nightmares and expense, being at the mercy of an unknown shop far from home, time in hotels when forced out of the rig, etc.
I wholeheartedly agree. The more you stay on top of things the less problems you can have. Every year when I go to Prevost for my annual it includes a comprehensive inspection and they found a leaking shock absorber and a malfunctioning J valve at my last visit. They took me under the bus to see the two issues. Future problems averted. I know that freightliner and possibly Spartan have schedules to follow and yes it’s not cheap. Pay now or pay later. These are complex machines so it’s part of ownership to stay on top of key items. So far it’s served me well.

Latest resources

Back