Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
At Freightliner (FCCC) Gaffney, SC and like last year I asked them to do a leak check as I've been concerned about tank 2 not holding air and also seeing some lower than desired air pressure on tank 2 while driving, just above 100. As pointed out by @J&JD HWH Active Air can be a contributor to the air cycling and that is valid. However, it seems almost all of my air bags are leaking. Fronts are worse, rears are not that bad but in a year will probably need attention. I asked how long they typically last and he said 5-10 years, my chassis is 7 years old now. So as the theme of the year was spend as much as I can on the coach (new tires, RettroBands, LiFePO4 batteries and all new electrical system) so why not replace all air bags (6) for around $4500? Yep, let's do it! Ugh!!!

Moral is, ask for leak checks during your chassis annuals and be aware of dry rotting bags, lines, cracked fittings, etc. I want to enjoy my travels when going to destinations and not be dealing with issues so now is the time to get it taken care of.

IMG_5594.png
IMG_5595.png
IMG_5596.png

New air bags are installed. Tech said the HWH Active Air made it quite a PITA as brackets had to be removed, etc. Hoping all the AA stuff continues to work as installed otherwise that's the next joy.

Did the air bags have to be replaced? No. I'm sure I could have gotten a few more years out of them but Active Air does rely on them to do its job and as they said they are like tires, rubber, similar lifetime, etc. etc. so I did it as this is a "new it up" year for me. I really want years ahead of joy and not breakdowns so hopefully this cycle will reap some dividends in another 60K miles.

So hopefully that concludes this years' entertainment. The grand tally for tires, RettroBands, Newmar service, FL service, and SES for LiFePO4 is a whopping 45K! Yeeeeouuuuuuuuch! But let's not forgetttttt, a new coach is at least 200K more...in similar model, more for something up the ladder, that equates to budget for newing up.

And I'll have to say that it was really slow at FL Gaffney this visit, maybe 3 of us here. RVing is showing to be a very different situation this day, age, economy and I question it myself. I will continue, as I'm told "you can't take it with you" and you have to live your life but the cost of this lifestyle is on my mind.

I will continue, as I'm told "you can't take it with you" and you have to live your life but the cost of this lifestyle is on my mind.
You are not alone my friend. And believe me, after the last week or so, it's sometimes hard to keep a positive attitude!

So hopefully that concludes this years' entertainment. The grand tally for tires, RettroBands, Newmar service, FL service, and SES for LiFePO4 is a whopping 45K! Yeeeeouuuuuuuuch!
So, if you have an Amazon Visa card that is sure a lot of Amazon points to spend :cool:

So, if you have an Amazon Visa card that is sure a lot of Amazon points to spend :cool:
No, but I do have a cash rewards Visa, I'm sure that will make up the difference 😭

Happy to report tank 2 air was solid today. Stable with only drops when active air kicked in for fight mode. Looks like when new again. Will see pressure in the morning. This morning was around 100 psi but I was air leveled and active air made one correction which probably used 20psi. Previously was 65 or less morning after arrival.

That sounds like money well spent on a 7 year old coach. Yes it’s a lot but you just removed a lot of headaches that you could encounter going down the road that can cost you a lot more in lost reservations, downtime, no parts and or just sitting and waiting for something. Santa Cullen was good to you this year.

That sounds like money well spent on a 7 year old coach. Yes it’s a lot but you just removed a lot of headaches that you could encounter going down the road that can cost you a lot more in lost reservations, downtime, no parts and or just sitting and waiting for something. Santa Cullen was good to you this year.
Thank you @sheridany - I was feeling a bit of remorse on this one as I probably coulda/shoulda waited a few more years as they were "good enough" I suppose. But they are newed up and I hope ole bessie treats me well on the next big long outing next year heading out west if the planets align. Trying to keep the owned items in tip top shape, these things can rot in a heartbeat if not well maintained as everyone knows.

Also, a lot of what I do with this coach is me learning about RVing and experimenting with technologies, systems, and learning how to properly maintain it. Many here are seasoned RVers that know all this stuff, how long things really last, etc. Learning as I go down this path on my first coach, and probably only coach with the way prices are and are likely never to return to what we know.

23 hours after parked 10 psi lost in tank 2. Way better! If you’re seeing tank 2 drop significantly now you know why.

Well, get some good use out of it! I am hoping to use my new air bags, tires, shocks etc more next year too!

Latest resources

Back