• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Tire Air pressure Source

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I simply bought the fittings/adaptors and a 50' hose at my local Ace Hardware. I check and fill when engine is already idling. Fills the tires super quick and I gave my old compressor to my son-in-law for his RV; one less thing I haul around in my storage bays. The hose stores very easily up front by the factory installed air chuck near the generator with the use of these really strong heavy duty magnetic holders I picked up on Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B0C3MQLQMZ
Best,
-Mark

Has anyone tried using nitrogen in there tires on these rigs. We use it in aviation for several reasons. I am considering swapping out the shop air with nitrogen to see if perhaps the tire pressures stay consistent and possibly cooler. I have a nitrogen set up at the hangar I will need to see what volume they will take and figure out the cost/benefit ratio. I will do the front tires first to see if it makes a difference.
Question, So my coach came with the air port in the generator bay and 15 foot coil hose with fittings was included with the accessories. I wanted to use the onboard air on the rears tires but the only air fitting is the one for the towed rig at the hitch. The male fitting for the hose provided does not seem to be compatible though. what style fitting is that on the hitch, is it unique to the brake systems? I don't use brakes on my toad.
Thanks

[no expert on this]

I think you could but I recall seeing a video that you would need to completely deflate your tires to get the air out prior to putting Nitrogen in.

I have the doubler as well and mine is portable in a pelican case. It is sold by Les Schwab Tire in Junction City, OR which bought out the local tire dealer that came up with the portable one. You can buy the parts directly from another retailer as well and customize them to your liking.

Has anyone tried using nitrogen in there tires on these rigs. We use it in aviation for several reasons. I am considering swapping out the shop air with nitrogen to see if perhaps the tire pressures stay consistent and possibly cooler. I have a nitrogen set up at the hangar I will need to see what volume they will take and figure out the cost/benefit ratio. I will do the front tires first to see if it makes a difference.
Question, So my coach came with the air port in the generator bay and 15 foot coil hose with fittings was included with the accessories. I wanted to use the onboard air on the rears tires but the only air fitting is the one for the towed rig at the hitch. The male fitting for the hose provided does not seem to be compatible though. what style fitting is that on the hitch, is it unique to the brake systems? I don't use brakes on my toad.
Thanks
I realize this is mainly on car tires but it’s worth a read when thinking about adding nitrogen.

I'm probably in the minority, but I do use the coach's air to top off my tires. It takes a few minutes per tire, but I can get the fronts up to 115 psi which is where I want them. The backs are less and thus easier to top off.

Has anyone tried using nitrogen in there tires on these rigs.
Yes, I have been using nitrogen in everything I own. I purchased a tank to try the nitrogen in everything I own. :confused: I personally think it is in my head, ;)but it seems the coach does less rut tracking and wandering.

If I took the RV plunge (and bought one with air brakes) I would certainly install an air doubler.

For $130 and 10-15 of my time it would take less room and weigh less than a dedicated compressor, it would be less moving parts to worry about too.

Nitrogen v air!

I've used nitrogen in racing applications for decades. It does have its purpose. One of my firstclass A (long ago), a 40', had a LF tire blowout. The coach was only 3 yrs old. What I learned was, the moisture inside the tire will rotten the side wall, hence, cause the side wall blowouts.

Some service stations do not maintain their air compressors properly. Those compressors tend to introduce significant amount of moisture into your tires. You can test this by simply opening the valve on the air line and spray into the air. Those compressors that are maintained poorly, you will see a stream of moisture come out of the air hose.

For most cars and trucks that are driven on daily basis, this is not a major issue. However, for an RV that sits idle for many months, that becomes a cancer. The moisture inside the tire collects at the bottom and overtime it rusts the belts on the side from within. Eventually, you'll experience a side wall blowout.

That first blowout, was my last tire blowout. That was some 20 yrs ago. Since, I started using nitrogen. I do not replace the entire existing air inside the tire with nitro. I just use the nitro tank to add air when needed. There is no reason to replace the entire air volume, unless you plan to race that vehicle. The idea is to avoid introducing more and more moisture into the tire for a vehicle that tends to sit idle for long periods of time.

The tanks that I use cost about $50 to replace/refill. I don't recall how much it cost to purchase the original tank. Its a 5' tank. Without using it for racing it lasts me about 3 yrs. That covers the 8 tires for the motorhome, 4 for the personal car and 4 for the tandem axle trailer in tow.. With that approach, I have never had any more tire blowouts, and my rv tires last 8-9 years without any issues. Attached is the drive axle tires which were just shy of 7 yrs old and more than 70k. If you look close, you'll see there is very little thread left in them. Unlike my previous units which were kept in a climate control barn, this one was outside the entire time and with exposure to extreme hot andextreme cold.

Btw, those drive axle tires worn out much sooner that I expected them. Thats was due to the defective tag axle which could not be aligned properly, hence causing excess wear on the drive axle tiers as well. The drive axle was originally slightly outof alignment due to faulty freightliner alignment procedures, otherwise, those michelin's should have lasted well into 80-90kmiles.

With a little proper care, the RV tires can last as long as they are designed to be used. Also, anapplication of 303 twice a year, seemed to help.
tire.png

Latest resources

Back