Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
When we ordered the Newmar DSDP, I added a front air chuck located in the generator pull out area. My thinking is it would be nice to have an external air source for tires and other momentary uses. If the engine is running or not?

Am I correct in thinking that the on board air pressure reserve can be used to top off tires? Or will I still need to drag around the Viair compressor?

@Joe Goodxrvn I'm not sure what the option (or special) is that you ordered. On my 22 Dutchstar there is a air system quick connect in the generator area but I did not add it when I ordered the coach. My experience on my 15 Ventana which had the same air system quick connect was that the system can be used to top off tires BUT.. When I tried to use the onboard air, particularly for the front tires which I run at 110psi I would have to ensure the onboad system was at full pressure i.e. ~130 psi then add air to the tire. The onboard system would quickly fall below 110 since it did not seem to have sufficient volume to complete the tire "top off". I then would have to get in the coach, pump the brakes a few times to get the air system to drop sufficently for the onboad air compressor to recharge the system & cut off, then repeat the tire fill attempt. SO yes it can be done but it's a pain. Now I carry a 110v air compressor to handle any needed compressed air requirements. ARD or others my chime in regarding the option to add an "air intensifier" which I believe resolves the need to cycle the onboard compressor. Never had an intensifier so can't offer any insight on that option.

In my experience, especially for the front tires, the RV did not provide enough pressure without the engine running...especially after the first few pounds are used.

thank you. This answers my question. I’ll probably just get a 120v compressor.

I've heard some adding a "doubler" that makes the on board air tank system capable of use for filling tires, etc. I think this is sold by Newmar but it may be a chassis vendor part.

Pricey mod, engine still has to be running. I have had porter cable compressor that goes to 150psi and has worked well.

6322971A-E8C3-4348-9302-763D8594BF5D.png

I think this is sold by Newmar but it may be a chassis vendor part.
I purchased mine at Spartan and they installed it. They also carry it in the parts department at Newmar. The doubler works great. I can air up my tires very quickly now.

Latest resources

Back