Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Tire flat repair is becoming unfashionable??

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Living in Florida with the endless construction, the tradesman are sometimes sloppy with their supplies and deposit all manner of road hazards upon the roads. You say, how do I know this. Over the last seven or so years living full time in Florida I have had no less than seven flat tires. In my past, living in other states, I have put on hundreds of thousands of miles without a flat.

That said, my last flat, yesterday, was due to a roofing nail that had some flashing attached impaling my driver side front tire. It made a racket but was kind enough to let me get to the repair shop prior to leaking down.

Now the repair shop claims that the flat was unrepairable. It was not in the side wall but within the first couple of ribs of the tire near the edge. These tires had no more than 25k on them. Plenty of life left before the wear bars.

Had to purchase two new tires. I do not like having just one new tire on an axle so I replaced the flat tire as well as one that had been previously plugged from earlier this year (another bit of construction debris).

Is there some rule about plugging a nail hole that I am unaware of that makes the tire with a nail in it unrepairable? If the side wall is damaged, yes I understand that. But this did not seem to be that close to the sidewall.

This was at a local shop I have done business with since before moving to Florida full time. Maybe ten or more years.

Thoughts?

I’m wondering if having “some flashing attached” caused the roofing nail to flail around and break some cords in the tire. Since this is a tire shop you have done business with before, I would have asked them to show me the damage. A simple nail puncture should be easy to patch (I won’t use plugs as the insertion process frequently does break cords). If there were cords broken in the tire, then it was good advice to replace it. And, I commend you for being smart enough to replace the pair. Good thinking.

TJ

Last edited:
I’m wondering if having “some flashing attached” caused the roofing nail to flail around and break some cords in the tire. Since this is a tire shop you have done business with before, I would have asked them to show me the damage. A simple nail puncture should be easy to patch (I won’t use plugs as the in section process frequently does break cords). If there were cords broken in the tire, then it was good advice to replace it. And, I commend you for being smart enough to replace the pair. Good thinking.

TJ
TJ,

Unfortunately my description of the "repairs" as "Plugs" is inaccurate. The previously repaired tire, that was replaced in addition, was patched, by this same shop, last Fall. Your suggestion as to inquire why it was not repairable is well taken, I was remiss in my normal curiosity.
It wasn't until the tire had been removed and inspected that the verdict was rendered, unrepairable. So it may have been more to it than was obvious from my cursory inspection on the road side.
The tire shop Manager met me at the car in the parking lot, so I did not look further into the potential tire damage or any additional damage that may have occurred on the way to the shop from my road side inspection.

Please understand that I was not criticizing you for not asking, @Joe Goodxrvn. Since this is a shop you have dealt with before, it is understandable that you were more focused on getting the problem resolved and the coach back on the road.

TJ

We were visiting our daughter and grandkids in Gulf Shores recently. No less than 10 houses in their neighborhood were getting new roofs. You guessed it, I picked up a roofing nail in the tire on my Ram 1500 pickup. I didn't notice until we were on our way back to Ringgold, GA going home. It was a 7 hour trip and I was ready to get on the road. Wal-Mart tire center refused to plug or patch the tire either one saying the nail was too close to the sidewall. Two other tire stores were too busy to get to it in less than an hour (which means 2-3 hours). I decided to drive home and deal with it later. The tire still has the nail in it 5 months later. These tires had less than 8000 miles on them when it happened. They have 16k miles on them now. Upon further inspection I actually have 2 tires with roofing nails in them. I think if I bother them they may start to leak so I'm leaving them alone! ;)

Hmmm...OK, I probably wouldn't use "plugs" on my RV tires, but I've used them for years (decades actually) with not one failure. On my autos, ATV's, and even wheel barrels ?I've repaired puncture holes without one failure...guess I've just been fortunate.

Same story here. I have nail on the rear tire of the Acura. Two shops did not want to plug it. First one was too busy and not enough people to work. The second one I have bought tires from them before, asked me to leave it for the day with them. The end of the day they offered to sell me a new tire, instead of fixing it? I took it back. Have plugged many tires before, just getting too old and too lazy ?. It leaks maybe 1 psi every 3-4 weeks, so I will live it alone for now.

Able to get our tire plugged while in the Keys in March.

Developed a slow leak in right front tire. After monitoring it for a few days, I contacted a local tire Dealer.
Made an appointment, and pulled in, expecting to have to leave it. The General Manager asks if I want to wait for it. He said it may be an hour wait. I say "Yes, I'll wait".
While it, the leak was being fixed; he showed me the type plug they use. It is a half sphere shaped plug with a tapered tail hanging from it. The tail portion, which goes through the hole, has a stainless wire running through it, & according to him, the plug has stainless wire wrapped inside of it, making it stronger than the actual tire; his comment.
After fixing, they remount, & check the balance, & install back on the coach.
Total time....1 hour 10 minutes! Cost....$41.10!
Great service, & a great deal!

Oh....no leakage either. ;)

Hmmm...OK, I probably wouldn't use "plugs" on my RV tires, but I've used them for years (decades actually) with not one failure. On my autos, ATV's, and even wheel barrels ?I've repaired puncture holes without one failure...guess I've just been fortunate.
I've plugged motorcycle tires with good results too. Most people would never try it. :ROFLMAO:

Latest resources

Back