• Commercial/Vendors welcome

towing a jeep wrangler sahara

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
OH! I will add, if you use a slight incline when the transfer case is in neutral the vehicle will roll This is important for a couple of reasons. One is of course the safety aspect of a vehicle in neutral and where it will go. the other of course is you can play until secure that your method works with your vehicle.

What is the proper sequence for towing a jeep wrangler (Sahara) in terms of preparing the transmission? Just got the Air Force one installed yesterday and this is our very first tow.
We pull a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a manual transmission(I love the old time manuals and hard to find) and we also have the air force one air brake system with Blue Ox tow bar components.
After hooking up the tow vehicle which is very simple with the Air Force One(tow arms, air hose, chains, break away cable and electrical plug) place transfer case in neutral and confirm it is indeed in neutral trying to gently move forward or backward, make sure emergency brake disengaged, in neutral for manual transmission, engine off and key removed and off you go watching to see brake light indicator for Air Force One behind the mirror in the tow vehicle. A far better system than the inertia brake systems.

We pull a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a manual transmission(I love the old time manuals and hard to find) and we also have the air force one air brake system with Blue Ox tow bar components.
After hooking up the tow vehicle which is very simple with the Air Force One(tow arms, air hose, chains, break away cable and electrical plug) place transfer case in neutral and confirm it is indeed in neutral trying to gently move forward or backward, make sure emergency brake disengaged, in neutral for manual transmission, engine off and key removed and off you go watching to see brake light indicator for Air Force One behind the mirror in the tow vehicle. A far better system than the inertia brake systems.
Thanks for the info. Our Air Force One doesn't have a indicator light that I know of. The company that installed it and went over everything with us never mentioned that. I will check though.

Thanks for the info. Our Air Force One doesn't have a indicator light that I know of. The company that installed it and went over everything with us never mentioned that. I will check though.
The brake actuator air piston should have a reed switch mounted to it. This activates a small LED light strip. Instructions recommend mounting the LED strip to the back of your rear view mirror. Might download a set of instructions an give it a read. Maybe DEMCO dropped this feature. It was part of the kit when SMI was selling kits.

Anyway...it allows you to confirm brake activation from the helm by looking at the toad thru the backup camera system.
159B0A3F-DB1C-4869-BC40-6EF0D14A8FCE.png

The brake actuator air piston should have a reed switch mounted to it. This activates a small LED light strip. Instructions recommend mounting the LED strip to the back of your rear view mirror. Might download a set of instructions an give it a read. Maybe DEMCO dropped this feature. It was part of the kit when SMI was selling kits.

Anyway...it allows you to confirm brake activation from the helm by looking at the toad thru the backup camera system.View attachment 4468
Thanks Chuggs. I checked and it is there. Did not know this at all. I will check it out when we take the coach out. I love this site. You learn so much from people like you.

Happy to help.

Might see if the installer left you the instructions. If not...it's a good thing to download and print...to keep in your black bag.

I installed my system...so I read thru the instructions a half-dozen times. But if someone else did the installation...they may have missed telling you a couple of things. The light being one. They also tell you how to do a breakaway test. After connecting the toad...run the coach and apply the coach brakes a few times. This is a good opportunity to see if you have the LEDs facing well enough to see in the camera display. Then shut the coach off...the brake application charges the air accumulator in the AF1 box. Next...have a helper pull the disconnect pin, while you view the brake pedal of the toad for actuation. Make sure to plug the breakaway pin back in when finished. Not something you have to do all the time. But it's a good systems test...to make sure everything works...and a confidence builder. The pin is plastic. I wound up ordering a spare to have incase it breaks during a trip.

Enjoy towing! I love how easy it is to tow our Jeep. And it all fits in a bag, we leave in the back floorboard. Nothing to move to the floorboard and connect to the brake each time. It all stays in place hidden pretty much from view.

Latest resources

Back