• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Towing a Vehicle behind my RV

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
That sounds great, and should be plenty stout, my concern would be the actual hitch mount on the motormome, your work may be good for 25,000 lbs, but if the motorhome hitch is only rated for 5,000 lbs where does that leave you ?

That sounds great, and should be plenty stout, my concern would be the actual hitch mount on the motormome, your work may be good for 25,000 lbs, but if the motorhome hitch is only rated for 5,000 lbs where does that leave you ?
This is taken from the Curt Manufacturing Webiste
" class 3 trailer hitch is the most common receiver hitch class installed on full-size pickup trucks and SUVs. If your truck is equipped with a towing prep package, it probably has a class 3 hitch.

CURT class 3 hitches are equipped with a 2" x 2" receiver tube opening and typically have a weight carrying capacity up to 8,000 lbs. gross trailer weight. Some class 3 hitches can also be used in combination with a weight distribution hitch."

From researching their website based on the dimension of the hitch frame and receiver tube it is difficult to tell if it's a class 3 or class 4 hitch....I am choosing to assume it's a class three and based on the information on the information on Curt Manufacturing website I should be fine.

I have already performed the research on the strength of my camper, frame strength GAVW....I have a brother who is a State Trooper and he says I will never get a ticket for being under GAVW....what I have not been able to square away it the best option for components. Hopefully I will be able to get that information this weekend.

Last edited:
Here is a link to Roadmaster’s website using your 2021 Ram. It gives you everything you need to consider: baseplate, tow bar, lights. Battery disconnect, etc.

BlueOx and Roadmaster are the leaders in what your looking for and both will provide excellent support. You can build your own baseplate but they already have.

Here is a link to Roadmaster’s website using your 2021 Ram. It gives you everything you need to consider: baseplate, tow bar, lights. Battery disconnect, etc.

BlueOx and Roadmaster are the leaders in what your looking for and both will provide excellent support. You can build your own baseplate but they already have.

thanks

A good example is any Jeep Wrangler, Sahara, or Rubicon, two door or 4 door. First on newer models there is NO steering lock. On your 4 wheel shifter you shift your trans-axle in Neutral. This disengages your transmission from your drive axles. Once in neutral you can shift your regular auto shifter in drive or reverse and you vehicle will not move. Then shift into park and shut off your engine.
I'd like to offer some clarification here: Sahara and Rubicon are packages available on the Jeep Wrangler, and the Jeep Gladiator, not separate models, although many people think of them as separate models. And the 4WD gearbox is not a transaxle, but rather a transfer case.

Doesn't it make a bit of sense to use a vehicle trailer? One with ramps as opposed to a flat trailer and one that has a tilt frame for easy loading and unloading. There was one parked next to us last year at the campground. The concern then would be the combined weight of the trailer and vehicle, trailer brakes, and controller on the tow vehicle which are present as used on the boat trailer. Seems like the minimum hassle and has no concern about towing flat or otherwise.

I am being told that both can be flat towed, but neither can be towed with the front wheels on a dolly ( that doesn't make sense to me)
Told by who? Dealerships and owners manuals would be a good source.
Ken

First told by one of theocal RV dealers, but when I contacted the dealer we got the jeep from they did say it was flat towable BUT since it's a lease I can not make attachments to the frame

Doesn't it make a bit of sense to use a vehicle trailer? One with ramps as opposed to a flat trailer and one that has a tilt frame for easy loading and unloading. There was one parked next to us last year at the campground. The concern then would be the combined weight of the trailer and vehicle, trailer brakes, and controller on the tow vehicle which are present as used on the boat trailer. Seems like the minimum hassle and has no concern about towing flat or otherwise.
It is a viable option
For me the draw back is having another trailer to store, register, inspect, maintain etc....also i would need a place for the trailer when I am at my camping place......I am sure for others a trailer fits their needs perfectly

I have been flat towing my 2013 Jeep Wrangler behind my gas powered motor home. I recently upgraded to a diesel pusher. Do I need to change the braking system in my Wrangler or does the brake system for gas motor homes work for diesel motor home’s too?

Latest resources

Back