Question Towing Question

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Rich,

To your point, this is one reason the video example was able to get decent fuel economy. Cruising on a flat highway at say 65 mph does not use much horsepower. Accelerating a load does take power and lots of it. Also, as we see trucks struggling up grades, moving up a grade takes power, lots of it. It is the acceleration and road grades that will take all the horse power.

Here are some simple numbers to determine power needed for certain activities. Quote from a Post I came accross:

"A modern Diesel engine uses about 0.31 pounds of fuel per horsepower-hour. Let’s say our big truck averages 10 mpg at 65 mph. This works out to 6.5 gallons per hour. At 7pounds/gallon, this is 45.5 pounds/hour. Dividing by 0.31 gives ~146 hp. (~110 KW).

Smaller trucks use gasoline engines. A gasoline engine uses about 0.5 pounds per HP-hour. Let’s say our smaller truck gets 14 mpg. This is 4.6 gallons/hour. Gasoline is less dense than diesel fuel, at about 6 pounds/gallon. This is 27.8 pounds, ~57 HP. (~43 KW).

Both types of vehicles would typically have engines rated at higher HP. Diesel engines work best when operated continuously at about 65–80% capacity. Full power is needed only for acceleration and hill-climbing. Heavy duty gasoline engines (as found in pleasure boats) are typically operated at about 50–60% of full capacity. Light duty engines - as found in passenger cars - are normally operated continuously at only 10–20% capacity."
To technical for me!!!

Simple answer is, no! And I stress the point! No vehicle gets great fuel numbers pulling a trailer.

No turbo charged gasoline engine is expected to be trouble free when the turbo is engaged for a large part of it's life. .

I average my fuel economy over years,, not trips. As a full timer, my average is at almost hyway numbers. Don't be deceived by that statement, going up hills many times I see 5mpg. I don't stress my equipment! Although I don't see below 45, if I did, I would turn on the flashers and make as much room to pass as is legal! Just like the big boys do!!!

My running average puts my hauling percentage at 40/60! 40 is hauling. Don't get me wrong here. I am a heavy metal guy, economy comes from a multi displacement engine, the only way to buy gas powered vehicles!!!

I don't know that any gas engined truck is necessarily going to get you better fuel economy when towing a travel trailer, which is a giant sail. Which is not to say the 2.7 would be my first choice from a longevity standpoint for that kind of service.

Hi,

We have a 2019 Silverado RST, 2.7L Turbo.

Trailering info:
GVWR 6800 lbs
GCWR 12000 lbs
Max Payload: 1983 lbs
Curb Weight: 4817 lbs

We're towing a travel trailer which weighs 3700lbs.

The truck tows the trailer ok, however it stresses a lot while towing, especially going up hill. And the MPG is terrible (between 8-10. Took a whole tank to drive 160 miles).
I was wondering what are the considerations when pairing a truck to a trailer. Which specs should we look for in a truck so that the towing could be more efficient.

Thanks!
When we were towing (we traded up to a Class C) we had a Ram Laramie 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi engine. Pulled a 25' trailer just fine and got around 18 MPG (22 MPG when not towing). A 2.7L (turbo or not) probably shouldn't be towing anything over 500 pounds regardless of what the manufacturer thinks or says.

Latest resources

Back