• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Traveling on Sundays

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Why does anyone still deal with Good Sam? There are so many other options now. CW, Gander, Good Sam. Why in the heck would anyone deal with them now days?
I've tried to figure that out myself. Thousands of horror stories and bad experiences in RV forums can't be wrong. Yet people sign up every day. SMH.

If you have a spare!

My MH doesn't.
Does it have a place to put one? Both my truck and trailer have an extra tire. If they didn’t I’d have put that on the top of my priority list.

First of all, Dmharris may or may not have physical limitations that would prevent him from changing a tire. But since he posted about his bad luck it could be a learning moment for many traveling in a fiver.

First of all I agree with Kat, anyone who is physically able should know how to change a tire on not only the fiver but the truck. Most if not all fivers carry a full spare. Depending on the type of suspension and leveling system it is possible on some fiver to actually raise one side without using a jack to change a tire. You can also use blocks of wood to get a single wheel/tire off the ground in most cases.

Another point that might be valid to discuss here is having a TPMS on your fiver. Dmharris did not say anything about receiving an advance warning that there was a tire failure so I will assume he does not utilize a TPMS. In my opinion it is the #1 most important piece of safety equipment any RV can have. On two different occasions over the years I have received an alert that one of my tires was rapidly dropping pressure. It allowed me a couple miles to get to a safe spot in order to address the issue.

When we had our DP Class A we kept roadside assistance. When we changed back to full timing in a fiver we dropped it.

Sundays are my favorite days to travel especially if we will be traveling through any large cities.
I agree I need to get a good monitor system on my tires. It’s included on the truck.

As far as being physically able I think I need to work on my man muscles. ;-)

Note to self: learn how to change a flat on my 5th wheel and truck.
Already knew how to change a tire since I was a kid. Don't you?!? Only problem is, I'm too old and beat up to do it now.

Beware of traveling on Sunday's. Tire stores are closed and roadside assistance is hard to get.
Totally agree with you. I really try not to travel on the weekends. Inevitably, that is when something goes wrong and help is hard to find. I'm glad you got help and were able to get back on the road. What a very long day.

Class A's generally don't have a spare and even if they did many 70 yr olds could not do the wrestling with those large ties to gen them changed.

If you have a spare!

My MH doesn't.
yeah it's hard to carry around a $1k spare and if it's on an axle that has 4 vs 2 tires and possibly a different rim and so on....

Class A's generally don't have a spare and even if they did many 70 yr olds could not do the wrestling with those large ties to gen them changed.
Spares aren't just for the operator to use. If you call roadside and you have a spare they can install it vs trying to find roadside that can get a spare that matches.

Latest resources

Back