Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mikecrosby.5695

RVF Regular
Hello! I am very interested in an Entegra Vision. But, my only concern is :How does it handle steep inclines and declines with mountains? I am trying to avoid diesel pushers if possible. Can anyone with a gasser provide input? I would be towing a 3,000 pound Toyota Corolla on a small open trailer as well. Tks!

I have been driving gassers for the last seven years. They get over the mountains but it may not be feasible to maintain 65-79 mph over them. On the very steep long hills one may only maintain 55 mph. Use the engine compression brake/cruise control going down.

Sometimes I pass gassers on grades, sometimes they pass me. Its more about how prepared you are for the grade and how determined you are to keep your speed up. If you just leave it in drive and wait for it to shift, both types of rigs will end up being slower on the grade, but sometimes thats just fine too. I make it a point to not be in a hurry so it doesnt matter. But its also easier on the drive train to take it a bit slower.

A Ford V10 will run at over 5,000 rpm to go 55 in 3rd, and many people say thats not a problem, but I never ran mine over around 4200 (45 mph) on grades. And if that meant dropping another gear and going even slower that was fine, because it has to be better than running the thing at redline for 10 minutes under full load up a grade.

Lately I’ve been leaving my DP in drive with the cruise on and letting it get around to shifting in its own sweet time, causing me to loose momentum and drive more slowly on the grades, and its been just fine too. Slip in with the trucks, flashers on, and enjoy the scenery, rather than working every second to try to get a few more mph out of it.

Rich W. You think the same way I do. The rush rush rush to get here then have fun- have fun -have fun then rush rush rush home to go work the next day is gone. Now I get there when I get there and leave when I want to and get home whenever. The only bad thing about being retired is I never get a day off.:cool:

Rich W. You think the same way I do. The rush rush rush to get here then have fun- have fun -have fun then rush rush rush home to go work the next day is gone. Now I get there when I get there and leave when I want to and get home whenever. The only bad thing about being retired is I never get a day off.:cool:
I’m learning…

Lately I’ve been leaving my DP in drive with the cruise on and letting it get around to shifting in its own sweet time, causing me to loose momentum and drive more slowly on the grades, and its been just fine too. Slip in with the trucks, flashers on, and enjoy the scenery, rather than working every second to try to get a few more mph out of it.
My take on the diesel vs gas is to buy what works for you.

I live in the mountains, and 8% grades are an everyday thing for me. I used to have gas and it was tough going up and even tougher coming down. Albeit, it was an older gas rig and only had a 5 speed trans, but I think it was better suited for the long, open stretches' of road like Florida offers.

The first diesel I bought changed the world of mountain rving for me. I'm not in a hurry, but it sure was nice to not hear that V10 screaming all the way up the mountain. And coming down, well that engine break was simply awesome.

My current RV sports 600hp and a whole bunch of torque. Even though I could go up the mountain faster, I don't. But I feel the engine is happy and so am I. If I lived and traveled in the flatter states, I would probably be just fine with a gasser. I know my wallet would be.

Hello! I am very interested in an Entegra Vision. But, my only concern is :How does it handle steep inclines and declines with mountains? I am trying to avoid diesel pushers if possible. Can anyone with a gasser provide input? I would be towing a 3,000 pound Toyota Corolla on a small open trailer as well. Tks!
We just picked up our new 23 Vision XL 34B two days ago and drove it home roughly 180 miles from Jacksonville, FL to Savanna, GA. We tow a 4,000 lb Jeep Cherokee and although this route is not hilly, a couple of bridge approaches had enough slope to them that I could tell the engine has plenty of power. I do highly recommend that you do a through test drive at interstate speeds so you get a feel for how the tractor trailers move the rig around. It’s bad enough that I am already researching after market solutions that may help. Even when not fighting the wind blast from trucks, the rig doesn’t track without constant input to the wheel. This will be very tiring on long runs. Drive a comparable size diesel pusher to feel a comparison. Hope this helps.

Our E450 chassis was the same with constant fighting and the semis going by pushed me all around. Was quite tiring after driving all day.

Did a bunch of research and had liquid springs installed in the back. Replaced the leaf springs and the rite ride air bags. Amazing difference. Almost all rattles gone, no lean even in round abouts, barely notice the semis any longer. All computer controlled hydraulics and responds pretty much instantly.

Now I can drive all day and be no more tired than if I had driven a car.

Was not inexpensive but well worth it to us.

Latest resources

Back