Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Fishing3

RVF Newbee
I have a Colorado 4x4 crew cab,short bed with towing package, 7000 gvwr. Can anybody help with actual towing ecperiance with pro's and cons on this vehicle.Thanks!

I have a Colorado 4x4 crew cab,short bed with towing package, 7000 gvwr. Can anybody help with actual towing ecperiance with pro's and cons on this vehicle.Thanks!
Is this the one with the 5 cyl engine? If so, it doesn't tow very well. My Dad had a terrible wreck towing a Colorado on my race car trailer with his Colorado. Trailer started whipping back and forth. It beat both sides in on that Colorado bed. I tried to tell him that truck was too small. Not enough brakes. He totaled my trailer. It ripped the spindles completely off one side. It had tandem axles. Ripped the fenders off. Broke the tongue. A Colorado might be ok to tow a jet ski or a motorcycle but that's about it.

I own a 2018 GMC Canyon diesel 4wd and I tow a variety of trailers and weights. I believe the tow capacity for mine is 7600 or 7700 pounds. It has air bags which helped with bounce often associated with trailering.

trailers and weights

10 foot 10,000 pound gvw dump Trailer at 7000 pounds loaded weight I’d take this cross country. No sway cornering or braking issues. At 9000 pounds it’s struggling to back the load that required a tight turn sluggish taking off. It hauled two loads of gravel about three miles that were just over 9000lbs all uphill minimal braking and no speed over 40

20 foot car trailer at 7000 pounds it pulls this load several times a year it’s stabile enough to be safe but high winds require constant attention it will sway a little trailer has four foot sides we haul junk tires in two or three times a year Some loads are a little heavier it’s a 90 mile one way trip in a high wind areas. I’d haul this cross country. Fuel mileage on this trip averages about 20 mpg v my Boston at 10 mpg. I prefer the canyon for this load beca the area I unload is much easier to get in and out of than with my crew cab dually.

last week I towed my 29 foot travel trailer 90 plus miles just to know. Air bags at 100 psi Andersen sway control hitch. 7000 pound or slightly higher. At 55 it was solid no sway good braking handled corners well. Above 60 mph with surging 25 plus mph wind it required constant attention it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t someththing I’d want my wife driving a long distance. Don’t get me wrong it was ok but the same trailer with my dually there is no sway period with the same Andersen hitch.

I have Quite a few miles towing experience and own a tow truck and a one tone dually. My personal experience above is pretty factual and it’s also in comparison to towing the same trailers and loads with a truck that really handles them with ease. the canyon with proper trailer brakes and the air bags is pretty impressive. while I probably wont be hauling my travel trailer with it cross country id for sure haul a 6000 travel trailer cross country with it. Fuel mileage alone but having a smaller easier to park truck when I get there is another factor especially if I will be in a city with no parking for a dually.

I own a 2018 GMC Canyon diesel 4wd and I tow a variety of trailers and weights. I believe the tow capacity for mine is 7600 or 7700 pounds. It has air bags which helped with bounce often associated with trailering.

trailers and weights

10 foot 10,000 pound gvw dump Trailer at 7000 pounds loaded weight I’d take this cross country. No sway cornering or braking issues. At 9000 pounds it’s struggling to back the load that required a tight turn sluggish taking off. It hauled two loads of gravel about three miles that were just over 9000lbs all uphill minimal braking and no speed over 40

20 foot car trailer at 7000 pounds it pulls this load several times a year it’s stabile enough to be safe but high winds require constant attention it will sway a little trailer has four foot sides we haul junk tires in two or three times a year Some loads are a little heavier it’s a 90 mile one way trip in a high wind areas. I’d haul this cross country. Fuel mileage on this trip averages about 20 mpg v my Boston at 10 mpg. I prefer the canyon for this load beca the area I unload is much easier to get in and out of than with my crew cab dually.

last week I towed my 29 foot travel trailer 90 plus miles just to know. Air bags at 100 psi Andersen sway control hitch. 7000 pound or slightly higher. At 55 it was solid no sway good braking handled corners well. Above 60 mph with surging 25 plus mph wind it required constant attention it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t someththing I’d want my wife driving a long distance. Don’t get me wrong it was ok but the same trailer with my dually there is no sway period with the same Andersen hitch.

I have Quite a few miles towing experience and own a tow truck and a one tone dually. My personal experience above is pretty factual and it’s also in comparison to towing the same trailers and loads with a truck that really handles them with ease. the canyon with proper trailer brakes and the air bags is pretty impressive. while I probably wont be hauling my travel trailer with it cross country id for sure haul a 6000 travel trailer cross country with it. Fuel mileage alone but having a smaller easier to park truck when I get there is another factor especially if I will be in a city with no parking for a dually.
All these things you said tell me the truck isn't big enough. Sure, you as a professional tow truck driver have gotten away with using this undersized truck to tow many kinds of trailers that are too big for this little truck but it's pretty irresponsible to give the impression to the average "Joe camper puller" that it's a good truck to use. More people will wind up like my Dad than having luck like you have so far. I hope your luck continues. :) (y)

All these things you said tell me the truck isn't big enough. Sure, you as a professional tow truck driver have gotten away with using this undersized truck to tow many kinds of trailers that are too big for this little truck but it's pretty irresponsible to give the impression to the average "Joe camper puller" that it's a good truck to use. More people will wind up like my Dad than having luck like you have so far. I hope your luck continues. :) (y)
Just skaking my head, @EZ; just shaking my head in wonderment! :oops::oops::oops:

TJ

But the fact of matter is, people do it every day and it not only is threat to them, but to others which I worry about.

But the fact of matter is, people do it every day and it not only is threat to them, but to others which I worry about.
The same people using an S-10 to haul their 34' tandem axle camper are the same ones that say they don't need to use an auxillary brake system for their TOAD. Who cares if the F-150 I'm towing comes unhooked? I have insurance! Never mind the 6000 lb. missile that is crossing the median headed for the mini van full of kids...............SMH. :rolleyes:

people think this is an S10 pick up it is not. Its nothing at all like an S10 pick up in any way shape or form. Its weight drivetrain suspension brakes and tire are heavier than a half ton pick up. is it a 3/4 ton HD truck no. it will safely handle a 6000 pound trailer With proper hitch and stabilizers. Anyone stating it wont or isn’t safe has not driven one and there just throwing opinions with no facts behind them.

the Original post was asking for facts from people who actually have used them to tow a given weight I can and more so than most given that I have tested multiple trailers with different loads in high wind and crappy roads. the mention of S10 above is like comparing an 80s 3/4 ton diesel to a late model diesel there’s no comparison what so ever same in thinking the canyon or Colorado any any way shape or form compares to an S10 except maybe that both of them need air in there tires. I clearly stated a weight of 6000 pounds would be fine in this truck which in no way would put a 34 foot travel trailer behind one. Don’t know any 34 foot travel trailer that weighs less than 6000 pounds. If so I’d be interested in looking at one to buy.

Thanks for the replies. My 4x4 crew cab colorado has the v6/305 hp/269 ft.lbs.Torque with the towing package. I tow my single axle 4000 lb. Gross weight boat with no problem. I know hauling things in windy conditions and higher inclines on campers make a differance was the reason I was asking for personal experiences. I think from all the information I have gathered I think I will be fine hauling a camper of around 5,000 lbs. or less Gross and looking at one with curved front, so should cut wind resistance some.Towing capacity is 7,000. Lbs. Combined combination weight is 12,000. Thanks again !

Thanks for the replies. My 4x4 crew cab colorado has the v6/305 hp/269 ft.lbs.Torque with the towing package. I tow my single axle 4000 lb. Gross weight boat with no problem. I know hauling things in windy conditions and higher inclines on campers make a differance was the reason I was asking for personal experiences. I think from all the information I have gathered I think I will be fine hauling a camper of around 5,000 lbs. or less Gross and looking at one with curved front, so should cut wind resistance some.Towing capacity is 7,000. Lbs. Combined combination weight is 12,000. Thanks again !
Well, I would say it's not a slam dunk either way. Last year we tried sticking with the Colorado after upsizing our trailer to a 2007 Komfort 212T, just under 22 feet long and 4600 unloaded. Loaded for a trip, the scales measured 10,600 for the total rig, which is 88% of max (same max as yours). But my 2019 Colorado V-6 gasoline was 2WD, not 4WD, plus if you carry just a bit more gear in the bed, your total might hit 11,000. That's 92% of your max rating for the rig. Some folks advise limiting the total to around 80% or less.

We took this rig on one 500 mile trip and found the power and engine braking to be adequate. I drive 55 and my wife 60. Fuel economy for the trip was 13.5, mostly flat with a 3,000 foot climb at the end. That's about 2 better than what I got with my Silverado (my current TV) for the same trip this year, although to be fair, the Silverado is 4WD, which probably accounts for 1 mpg in any comparison with a 2WD.

The thing that pushed me to upgrade was instability in cross winds and when being passed by trucks on the freeway. We love the 13-year old Komfort, but it is very boxy. On the other hand, I subsequently found out that I was making a mistake in setting up my WDH (a Curt TruTrack) which reduced the effectiveness of its sway control features. (I was mislead by the original printed instructions for the Curt, which have since been corrected.)

This year I decided to upgrade to a 2020 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 liter V-8, 8-speed, 4WD, max rig rating of 15,000. I think the 2019 and later Silverado weighs less than prior model years; in any case, mine weighs only about 600 pounds more than the 2019 Colorado. I expect the total rig to come in at 75% of max rig rather than 88%, when carrying fresh water. When I've got high and twisty mountain passes to cross, I don't carry fresh water. That gives 72% of max rig vs. 85% with the Colorado. I'm looking forward to having a bigger margin on our next trip, which crosses the Sierra multiple times, especially given the engine braking of the 5.3 L.

Bottom line, I would say give it a try, but keep an open mind. Partly it depends on how fast you want to go and what terrain you need to deal with, so your experience might be different from mine.

Best wishes.

Latest resources

Back