• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tyron Run Flat

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I guess it comes down to comfort with the safe handling of these coaches when the front tire blows. I have not had the experience yet (knock on wood), but from what I read and I think maybe @redbaron had described in a post long ago as a very abrupt lane departure in his situation. I wonder what the happens when the tire blows with the rettrobands installed, is it still an abrupt event possibly losing control of the coach in that split second, or is it something less severe that allows you to control the coach and get off the road safely. The cost benefit might be worth it if it means I can protect myself and others around me.

I wonder what the happens when the tire blows with the rettrobands installed, is it still an abrupt event possibly losing control of the coach in that split second, or is it something less severe that allows you to control the coach and get off the road safely.
Watch the video on post 3 of this thread (10:35 mark). NIRVC conducted a test where they actually blew out a tire. From watching the video, there was no appreciable change in steering.

The difference between the two.....one keeps the tire from coming off the rim (Tyron) and the other basically gives you a secondary tire (internal rim/wheel) that gives you something to drive on, versus the rim. It would be kind of like a donut tire, but not rubber, inside the RV tire. I think both are VERY expensive, but the Retroband is the better system.

I assisted with the demonstrations of the Tyron bands when they were first brought to the US from Britain. They were introduced on the west coast and I provided the explosion (blasting cap inserted in the sidewall) that popped the tire during the press conference. My partner and I provided the explosives for the three demos on the west coast. They sold about 500 units to our Department, which installed them initially and then ended up tossing them in a pile. In law enforcement, the life of expectancy of a police car tire is only a year or less. They made it too hard to change out tires.

The Tyron bands worked by filling the center hole of the wheel, so the tire could not come off the rim.

Just keep in mind, these DO NOT prevent blowouts, they're job is to provide drivability after a blowout. Both units are really designed to allow you to continue to drive for awhile after a blowout. The Tyron bands were a big seller with the British military, an organization that may need to drive a distance on a flat, versus an RV that you stop quickly.

I assisted with the demonstrations of the Tyron bands when they were first brought to the US from Britain. They were introduced on the west coast and I provided the explosion (blasting cap inserted in the sidewall) that popped the tire during the press conference. My partner and I provided the explosives for the three demos on the west coast.
How about that!

Latest resources

Back