Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Having just posted in @Joe Hogan's thread and chatting with @redbaron about charge rates for LiFePO4 batteries I found myself shortly thereafter in a crisis. Boondocking at a Harvest Hosts location, it's hot, and using this powerful new setup. I went to do some cooking and got an inverter 2 fault. Computer + Convection oven wasn't having it, inverter 2 fault. No problem, all reset, have to figure out why that's happening someday. Then I realize my GEN is not loaded up (rpm) and my SOC is now down to 10%. The GEN comes online at 20% SOC per my settings to charge things back up.

I tried cycling things, I can't figure it out. Now I'm worried about a hard shutdown of the batteries if they get below 10%, not sure if that happens but I knew that was pretty much the hard stop on LiFePO4's. I started the engine hoping the alternator would push some current through the BIM as now I'm in a crisis and how I'm going to get slides in etc. in the morning if I have no 12V.

Thankfully I had Brian's number at SES so I called, it went to voicemail. Then sent a text and figured I'd go check the GEN breaker. Yep, popped, never had that happen before. During this time I had a hunch the inbound current (it's called) which I think is the charge current was set to 50A on each inverter. Hmm, I think it should be 30A as my 8K GEN has a 35A breaker. So charge rates cannot exceed your GEN breaker FYI!

The phone rings...

Thank you Brian! One thing that's important with Victron, slightly the same with Magnum but more easily overcome is whatever starts the GEN has to stop it. As Victron started it and I stopped it manually Brian had to do a few things to get the system talking to the GEN again. Still nothing. So he had me go to the inverters and use the switch on the front of each to turn them off and back on again. That worked!

Thank you thank you...everything is online again, more lessons learned in this complex system and still need more time to boondock and learn this setup off grid.

I will give further business to SES in the future, most likely at some future date pick up 4 more Victron 330ah batteries that I'm prewired for as the price dropped significantly this year.

All is great. Please consider using Solar Energy Systems in Nappanee, IN for your solar, battery, etc. needs. Outstanding service and support!

I had a long conversation with SES at the show.

but more easily overcome is whatever starts the GEN has to stop it. As Victron started it and I stopped it manually
Uh-oh. I will have to experiment. Still have the Xantreex inverter. For temp ags, it can start based on temp, but it will run until the outside temp drops below to initiate temp. With A/C having started the inside temp will never get below the temp at which the genset started, so manual shut off is needed. For low batt, it can start and stop on its own. Magnum inverter next. First must repair scratches incurred getting it into my tight driveway space, returning from Service Center, and building garage to protect it, if I can figure out how to fit everything in. :mad:🤬

Latest resources

Back