Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
In my Geek Speak post @Jabber Jaw mentioned universal remote and I figured I should write up what I use. I have these everywhere at home (home office, living room, bedroom):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014PDFP9S/?tag=rvf01-20

harmony-elite.png

I really like the Harmony Elite universal remote setup and there is also a smartphone app so you can drive it all from your mobile device. This allows you to turn on the TV, Home Theater, Apple TV, etc. etc. all at once. I got one for the RV and have used it since as my RV has a home theater so I need to turn on my Marantz slimline receiver, the Dish receiver, and the TV(s).

I will admit that the Dish remote which is a universal remote works very well as well but you will have to switch from SAT to TV to AUX to perform the same in 3 steps in the above scenario.

With SAT, Blue Ray, Apple TV, Stereo, TV the remote situation can get messy. Do NOT do what I did which was add the universal remote option with my Newmar build. That remote will probably cost $5K over 20 years! :( And it was a lower end Logitech Harmony remote so it was never used. If you're considering a Universal Remote I highly recommend the Logitech Harmony Elite setup.

I love my Elite at HOME, Neal!! Yeah, it replaced my URC system that was $XXX times more!

However, I elected to use the NON-hub version in our coach for the main reason of not always having an internet connection.

I discussed this with Logitech and they, themselves, agreed that not having an internet connection will cause problems, if not render the Elite (hub based) remote unusable.

What’s been your experience when there is ZERO internet?

Neal, you are like my neighbor. I think he has every tool known to mankind. I think you have every gadget.:cool:

@Neal

I've tried a few solutions to get away from multiple remotes in the coach with no success. I'll do some research on the Elite but I have a few questions that I would be very appreciative to hear if you have experienced any of the issues and have found a solution.

- Is the Elite both IR & RF? I don't know about Apple TV but Dish & Amazon fire sticks are RF (not sure what frequency(s)), TV & Receiver (Sony) are IR. Currently use a IR repeater to get the IR to the receiver above the driver, would this still be needed with the Elite?

- The Sony TV has a very long "start up" like 15-20 seconds. I know you moved away from Sony TV's so you may not have this issue but would appreciate any info you may have regarding if/how the elite deals with a long start up? The TV will not accept any input i.e. change input until it has completed the long power up sequence.

- If you are familiar with the Amazon Fire remote, will the Elite perform the Amazon remote functions?

Thanks,

- Is the Elite both IR & RF? I don't know about Apple TV but Dish & Amazon fire sticks are RF (not sure what frequency(s)), TV & Receiver (Sony) are IR. Currently use a IR repeater to get the IR to the receiver above the driver, would this still be needed with the Elite?

The Elite works over WiFi and IR, i.e. the Remote communicates with the Hub over WiFi. There are small IR blasters (2) that are included, the Hub also emits IR and also the Remote can send IR as well which is configurable. Between the Hub and two IR blasters I'm all set.

- The Sony TV has a very long "start up" like 15-20 seconds. I know you moved away from Sony TV's so you may not have this issue but would appreciate any info you may have regarding if/how the elite deals with a long start up? The TV will not accept any input i.e. change input until it has completed the long power up sequence.

I did not change my TV's so they are all the Sony's. I wouldn't say 15-20 seconds, that's extreme, but you can configure each Activity in the Elite as needed including adding delays. All configurable as they know various things have different timing.

- If you are familiar with the Amazon Fire remote, will the Elite perform the Amazon remote functions?

No experience as I use Apple TV's. I don't use the Elite to control Apple TV as I use either the Apple TV remote or the Apple TV App on my phone. It probably can but I've never tried it. Apple TV is a selectable item to add as an Activity so it probably does control it.

I did a search of the link below and Fire Stick IS supported on the Hub based remotes.

@Neal

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do some additional research.

Have the Elite at home and love it. Guess I better get one for the DS, just been lazy about it.

I knew you’d say that, Neal!

So. Yeah. If you DO NOT have internet, the hub will lose its communication. Again, I don’t know why it can’t run independently, and Logitech won’t give an answer.

So, I’m running the non-hub version for now. Nowhere near as convenient to program though since it has to be done via USB to a computer.

Also, for others to know, the Elite Hub ALSO will send Bluetooth!!! Crazy cool...this makes it talk to pretty much EVERY component; even an old Wii game box!

Hub mode is something you can enable/disable. I originally did NOT get a hub for my bedroom but bought it later. I had to tell the remote to pair with the hub.

Latest resources

Back