RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Transcend Xplor
RV Model
200MK
Fulltimer
Yes
I'm new to the RV life and looking to purchase my first travel trailer. I found a 2019 model nearby that I liked at a decent price, so I contacted the seller and asked if he would be willing to bring the unit to a campground in his area, I would pay for a spot, and we could hook everything up and test it out. He reacted like I was way out of line. I'm new to the RVing community so I don't know all the etiquette, but this seemed like a pretty reasonable request. I'd never buy a used truck or boat without testing it out, and I don't see myself buying a used travel trailer without testing it out. Was I out of line? Is there any other way to test it out?

As a seller, I would expect to demonstrate the serviceability of all systems. How and where I do that would be up to me. If the guy had no plan to do that, I would not give him serious consideration.

I think that you are asking for a no-cost education on general RV duties and the seller is not willing to do that.
As someone who has been in the camping world for years with my own, rentals, and all the way back to childhood, I know the general stuff and just need to be shown where the items are on a new rig.If I were selling, that campground set up would cost a potential buyer a $200 non-refundable fee.

From a buyer's perspective;
Out of line on the systems testing? No. Maybe out of line on the setting up in a campground. From a practical standpoint, how is he going to demonstrate to you that theres's no roof or window leaks if it doesn't rain? Run it through a car wash? If it's winterized, is it ok to demand a water system checkout? How about in a storage facility, with no shore power available? If he tows it, how do you know the brakes actually work? (Ask me how I know that one.)

There's a lot of scenarios in here that can throw a wrench into the process, and sometimes you have to take a little on faith.

Roger

Where does he have it stored? When we bought ours, the seller had it in their yard. We were able to test the fridge (I got them to turn it on a few hours before we came over), stove, furnace, AC, slide and awning. The only things we couldn't test were the water pump, heater and system in general.

I found a 2019 model nearby that I liked at a decent price, so I contacted the seller and asked if he would be willing to bring the unit to a campground in his area, I would pay for a spot, and we could hook everything up and test it out. He reacted like I was way out of line.
Assuming you are all geographically close to each other, why not just drive over to the fellows house and look at it there? What is to be gained by having him take it to the campground?

I agree, it seems like a stretch to ask for that from the seller. TT's can be mostly run in a yard or driveway. It also helps with any seller to know that the buyer is qualified and can actually complete the purchase once everything is checked. Giving demos not knowing if a looker is a buyer can be a major hassle.
We can help with the finance part if needed.
Thank you,
Ken

Definitely reasonable to test everything and if there is no power and water where the trailer is stored, then a campground is a logical location to test it, but you are asking a lot of the seller. Maybe some sort of compromise can be reached if its really necessary, but my guess is he’ll just sell it to someone else.

I chose a campground less than 2 miles from him and offered to pay for everything. He keeps the RV in a storage lot. I just don’t see any scenario where I buy something used without seeing everything fully hooked up and operational. I come from the boat world and it’s never an issue to water test a boat when buying or selling. You meet the guy at the ramp, take him out and test run the motor, demonstrate everything works, no problem.

Latest resources

Back