• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Unusual but useful stuff for the Rv

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
1) reflective jacket (makes me look official)
Thanks MapNerd. I was looking at these on the last trip and forgot to buy one.

tarp - haven't dirtied my new covralls yet.. Hopefully I will never need it to keep water out.
moisture detector, lp sniffer

The army/Marine Corps provide a very strong compact folding shovel, with a branch cutter on one edge. I got one for my metal detecting kit I carry. The saw works, takes some effort. I carry a hand sized pruner which ratchets and that works for most of the things I see in my way our 4x4'ing. I check the spot I'm going into prior to backing in, so any hazards are known before I tear something up. But the wind can change things and so be prepared for those things.

Home Depot sells a Tyvek paint suit for about 16 dollars, you can get ribbed cuffs for arms and legs. I keep two, the one I'm using, and a spare, once the zipper fails or I tear them up bad, I throw away the only set and then have the new set when I need it. It's getting harder for these old bones to get down or under the coach, so it does not get much use. I also keep a magnetized tray, for screws, nets/bolts when I'm working on something, so I don't lose them, even if I tip it over they don't get away.

Steel wool works excellent to start almost anything on fire, use the very fine size. At REI, and the like, you can get a tube of fire starter, I think mine is over 30 years old, as we don't like smoke from fires. I keep it to start the camping stope I used when backpacking, which runs on kerosene, make a hot flame which is excellent. I also keep that at home, and 1 gallon of fuel in case of SHTF problems.

I also keep a "road worker reflective vest" for those times I need to be seen outside alongside the road. That is in the jeep toad. I carry (when I can get them) disposable Lysol wipes to clean hands and hose bibs in parks on the coach front step so I don't get it dirty, and can sanitize the faucet for water. One can last a fairly lone time. I keep at least two spares under the tv cabinet.

I carry the normal stuff, oil, coolant, tranny fluid, WD-40 and 3M Dry Silicone Lubricant. Also some andro ant killer granules and go around the coach when we arrive to stop the little buggers from getting inside - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QDEQ7E/?tag=rvf01-20 - .

All of us have junk drawers, pens, sharpies (black-blue-red). But here is one thing you might consider.
3 small LED flashlights, (500 lumens or so, bright enough to see, but not blinding) for getting into those spots after dark (for those of us who don't have docking lights-but), here is how I do it. I place two lights at the back of the spot, one on each side of the space I am aiming to put the rear of the coach, pointing toward the street, the last one I place pointing toward the drivers window at the point I want the coach to end up. So when backing in, I have in effect landing lights pointing at my mirrors, and as long as I stay between those lights, I will not run off the surface of the spot, since I know the light aimed at the side of the coach is where I want to stop backing up to, I can put that MH almost anywhere I want her, and not scratch anything, hit anything, and it's in the middle of the pad. I went across the country east and west alone, and this trick never failed me. Plus I can use the lights for other things and to check for low hanging trees, etc. before I place them on the ground.

Last edited:
I heard about a guy that, get this, carries an entire 3D printer in his rig. I don’t know of anything else more unusual yet insanely useful.

I heard about a guy that, get this, carries an entire 3D printer in his rig. I don’t know of anything else more unusual yet insanely useful.
That dude is obviously insane!

Out of office reply: eating pizza. Will return shortly.

I carry a bicycle helmet for those times I need to crawl under the coach. I could make a wallet out of the skin I’ve left on various brackets under there.

Latest resources

Back