• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Unwanted Awning Deployment

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
When the Girard awning issues first came up on the forums, I happened to start up the coach once when the awnings were extended. To my surprise the awning immediately retracted. Turns out that there must be a wire connected to the controller that gets power when the coach is started and this provided a signal to the controller to retract. If you haven't already started up the coach while the awnings were extended, I recommend you give it a try to see if they retract (and will not allow you to extend it). I don't know if there is a specific model of the controller or if it's a feature that Newmar wires up starting at a certain trim level.

The Dometic awning on the Baystar also retracts when the engine is started. The problem here is the motor continues to try to retract it after it is fully retracted, so I have to pull the fuse in the electrical cabinet in the bathroom before getting underway.

I don't know if there is a specific model of the controller or if it's a feature that Newmar wires up starting at a certain trim level.
It’s not, mine does that I noted several months back and I don’t think you can get Girards below the Ventana. Could be wrong on that.

FWIW, I’m positive that Newmar has never heard of this before...

Okay spent a little time today looking to see if I could see a any fuses/breakers for the the awnings. In the 1/2 bath 12v 7.5a fuse F18 controls the entry door awning along with the window awnings by removing power to the switches located in cabinet above driver seat.

in the power panel behind the cord reel is B16 20a fuse for power awnings. This is not a convenient location and being 20a suspect this is for the motors.

Lastly, I checked to see if there was ignition interlock that would retract entry door or patio awnings when starting the engine. Answer for my coach is no, they remained extended.

I feel confident that removing 110vac plugs from controllers is easiest preventative way to keep the awnings from unwanted deployment.

Since you have 120V power is there not a circuit breaker in the breaker panel in the half bath?

Since you have 120V power is there not a circuit breaker in the breaker panel in the half bath?

None noted that relate to the awnings☹️

A few months ago my Girard awning would not deploy. Noticed the GFI in the medicine cabinet of the half bath was tripped and wouldn’t reset. Replaced the GFI and the awnings worked so there should be a main breaker for that circuit.
Since I don’t use the main awning all that often and don’t want an errant deployment, I installed a couple of these where the awnings are plugged in in the basement. Simple to turn on when I want to use the awnings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKPBZX1/?tag=rvf01-20

A few months ago my Girard awning would not deploy. Noticed the GFI in the medicine cabinet of the half bath was tripped and wouldn’t reset. Replaced the GFI and the awnings worked so there should be a main breaker for that circuit.
Since I don’t use the main awning all that often and don’t want an errant deployment, I installed a couple of these where the awnings are plugged in in the basement. Simple to turn on when I want to use the awnings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKPBZX1/?tag=rvf01-20
So the easy answer is to trip the GFI before you leave your location. The GFI likely is strung with the outside outlets and maybe kitchen. You should test the GFI regularly anyhow so simple answer. For the rest of you you might see if that would work for you.

So the easy answer is to trip the GFI before you leave your location. The GFI likely is strung with the outside outlets and maybe kitchen. You should test the GFI regularly anyhow so simple answer. For the rest of you you might see if that would work for you.
If you are like us, that cabinet is full of stuff so testing/resetting that GFI is not as easy as it sounds.

Latest resources

Back