Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Update and clarification on CARB and diesel motorhomes operating in Ca from FCOC

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
they already have permanent immigration check points along several highways and alongside those are typically scales check points for semi's, that infrastructure is already in place and will be what is used to enforce this.

I towed my 26ft Travel Trailer from CA to CO and back and got stopped by CHP both times at scales for a weight certification test to be sure I was within the tow rating of my vehicle.

this is another CA cash grab and they will do anything to grab that cash.
Yeah? I call BS because how many THOUSANDS of RV's and travel trailers go by these "checkpoints" every day?
They are not going to stop recreational RVers for weight checks.

Yeah? I call BS because how many THOUSANDS of RV's and travel trailers go by these "checkpoints" every day?
Not BS!!!
Back in the day a cop drove by trucks and determined over weight, just by how the tires sung! Any suspect was routed to the scale. Today in motion scales
will do the job.

Border check points are only a means to stop you for many different mandate violations. Aircraft are what is used to find unsuspecting travelers!

Things will change drastically, when people realize the difference between the words driver and traveler!

If you did a survey on just these forum goers, they wouldn't know!!!

They do. not all, but those they think are at or over the tow capacity of their vehicles, I am very close, doesn't surprise me I was stopped.

Also, those that have mis-matched license plates like me. CO plates on the Trailer, CA plates on the car

Not BS!!!
Back in the day a cop drove by trucks and determined over weight, just by how the tires sung! Any suspect was routed to the scale. Today in motion scales
will do the job.

Border check points are only a means to stop you for many different mandate violations. Aircraft are what is used to find unsuspecting travelers!

Things will change drastically, when people realize the difference between the words driver and traveler!

If you did a survey on just these forum goers, they wouldn't know!!!
SCOTUS has struck down that Traveler non-sense many times.

They have made it clear that yes, we have a right to "travel" across the USA and the Federal Government has no jurisdiction to enforce traffic laws, mandate vehicle registration or driver licensing, those tasks are left to the individual states, and the States have the right to enforce Vehicle Codes, require drivers' licenses, insurance and vehicle registration as well require inspections of vehicles within their State's borders.

a person can travel freely and not be hindered in said traveling by Federal Authorities, but they do not have the right to drive unlicensed or in an unregistered vehicle if the State they are traveling through has laws or mandates.

This is what make CA CARB legal and gives them the right to inspect.

This is why each state has different licensing and vehicle registration requirements and there is no Federal Driver's License or Vehicle Requirements for privately owned and operated vehicles, commercial vehicles/drivers have a whole different set of requirements on the State and Federal Level. because they are "for hire" and cross state lines.

Yes this is the latest - guess the earlier version was just wishful thinking on the part of the CARB folks.
IMG_3560.jpeg

Well that's still not completely accurate. The CARB website states that motorhomes registered out-of-state "are only [exempt] during the first four years of Clean Truck Check implementation (2023-2027)". So both Freightliner notices were accurate some degree ... but they seem to be missing vital clarifying information.

One thing for sure!!
REGARDLESS of the CARB publication, or otherwise, CALIFORNIA does not have to worry about me crossing the border into their State! SAD, because there is so much beauty there to be seen!:cry:
And probably, most could care less, if I go, or if I don't!;)
There 49 other States to see and enjoy! And I'm so old the pages of time turn faster than my ability to travel!:cool:
Safe travels to all!

Allan

Another Newscum delusion...In a State that enjoyed a budget surplus but now faces severe deficits, they enact a regulation that may affect tourism (income). Enforcement will cost more than revenue from compliance, and the air will not change as a result. RV'ers provide communities substantial revenue and yet that industry is not promoted and/or supported.

REGARDLESS of the CARB publication, or otherwise, CALIFORNIA does not have to worry about me crossing the border into their State!

Others have expressed the same sentiment and that means one less "camper" spending money for an RV park, fuel, provisions, and tourism. We just contributed to the Oregon RV parks, restaurants, gas stations, Fred Meyers (gotta love Fred Meyers 😊) and curio stores in Bandon Beach, Coos Bay and Florence. And they were happy to have us! Each CA County has a clean air board...we do not need another money pit like CARB. Just my humble opinion. Blessings

Well that's still not completely accurate. The CARB website states that motorhomes registered out-of-state "are only [exempt] during the first four years of Clean Truck Check implementation (2023-2027)". So both Freightliner notices were accurate some degree ... but they seem to be missing vital clarifying information.
I don't know how much more clear this could be? Diesel motorhomes not registered in California are EXEMPT! California cannot regulate diesel motorhomes registered in other states and especially those snowbirding from Canada.

By FMCA Governmental And Legislative Affairs Committee
The California Air Resources Board (CARB) — part of California Environmental Protection Agency — has implemented the Clean Truck Check. This directly regulates nearly all diesel and alternative-fuel vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) over 14,000 pounds that operate on California roads. The regulation includes motorhomes registered in the state but exempts those registered outside the state.

In response to RVers’ concerns, FMCA’s Governmental and Legislative Affairs Committee contacted CARB for more information on the impact of the regulations. Owners of diesel motorhomes registered in California must register with CARB and pay a $30 annual fee prior to operating their coach in the state. Motorhomes may be registered at https://cleantruckcheck.arb.ca.gov. The compliance fee requirement started in 2023, and the deadline to pay the fee for 2023 was January 31, 2024.
Owners need to take steps to register the vehicle to avoid a DMV registration block on the vehicle and to avoid penalties.

Beginning October 1, 2024, emissions compliance testing requirements take effect.

Owners of California-registered motorhomes are required to submit to emissions compliance testing once annually. Deadlines ultimately will align with the vehicle’s DMV registration date, but this may vary from the 2024 compliance deadline. In 2024, all vehicles will have a compliance deadline between July 1 and December 31, 2024. Testing cannot be completed more than 90 days prior to your compliance date.

Our research has indicated that at press time, some California Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) employees were unaware of the program and thus may not be able to provide motorhome owners information. The DMV does, however, receive hold orders from CARB for those trying to renew a registration on a non-compliant vehicle in California. Penalties can be up to $10,000 per vehicle per day.

CARB publications are a bit difficult to decipher. FMCA’s Governmental and Legislative Affairs Committee members have been researching this program for many weeks and finally received the above interpretation of applicability directly from CARB.

For more information, visit ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/CTC or contact the CARB directly at [email protected].

That all seems quite accurate. As I was unable to pay the compliance fee on line due to their dysfunctional website, I stopped at the DMV and they said they have no control over it and yes there is a hold on my registration. I called CARB and the automated response invited me to leave a message and advised that there are (no exaggeration here) 1,436 callers ahead of me - I could hold or wait for a call back.

An email response directed me back to the dysfunctional website that didn’t work in the first place. I told them this was an inadequate response so a second email directed me to a you tube how-to video of the dysfunctional website narrated by someone who clearly only speaks English as a second or third language. I couldn’t understand any of it but it didn’t matter since it was the same website that doesn’t work anyway. Fun times…

Latest resources

Back