Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Urgent 110 shore power not working. Please Help!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TXbound

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Winnebago
RV Model
Adventurer
RV Length
Chassis
Chevy P30
Engine
454 Vortac
Fulltimer
Yes
We are on 30 amp with air conditioner running most of the time as are most of the other guests here The Texas coast are, including the one we are sharing a shore power box with Woke up this morning to find the shore power wasn’t working. I checked the main breaker inside it wasn’t tripped. I went outside and reset the park switch. Power was back on for about half hour, power went out, no inside breaker tripped, reset park switch, still no power. Maintenance came out looked at it. The box was recently replaced so I figured it either was or wasn’t the cause, they tested for juice meter read 119. So on on one of the hottest days of the year here In Corpus Christi I’m left to troubleshoot it. The GCI switch in the bathroom is tripped but can be reset with generator on. AC works with generator on I checked the transfer box testing the black and white wire from the shore power cord and no juice, not one single volt. So it looks like ether there is an intermittent problem with the shore power. I will have to move to another site to test or my power cord is shot and needs to be replaced. The park maintenance said my power cords connectors looked a little off but they have been that way since we bought the rig in Jan. So do I A replace the power connectors, maybe try sand papering them? Maybe it’s a bad ground connection Or B replace the whole cord which doesn’t look too hard to do. I don’t want to call a repair guy if I can DIY. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I’m betting that YOU don’t have a problem. There are a couple of clues in your post that make me think that. “…one of the hottest days of the year.”. “…air conditioner running as are most of the other guests…” “…reset the park power switch (I presume this means ‘breaker’).”

My strong suspicion is that the park electrical is overloaded and is dropping out. The fact that the park maintenance guy measured the voltage at 119 means nothing unless it was measured under load. As soon as your AC turns on, I’d bet you are actually seeing 108-110V. When voltage drops amperage increases and breakers trip. The 30A power connection you have is marginal for AC use during the best of times. In hot weather, it is simply insufficient!

RV parks will always tell you the problem is in YOUR system, not theirs. In the vast majority of cases, that’s not true; it is an inadequate park electrical system that’s the real problem.

Use your generator during peak power times until the weather cools off. Moving to a different site “might” help, but I suspect you’ll find a similar situation there as well.

TJ

I lean towards TJ’s analysis. Mine went out twice at the last campground - at the pole. Once, my neighbor two sites away went out at the same time. On the other occasion I saw the park lamp post flicker just before the pole breaker tripped.

I wish there were some type of alarm to alert one to the AC going out before the inverter runs the batteries down. I just happened to e awake at 2 am and heard the transfer switch click.

Yes you are so right on all counts, they are like tech support they are never to blame and it’s on your end. So since I was going to the dump station I decided to try a different vacant site I checked with my meter the outlet and would’t you know it my worked! So long story short I’m now in the new site with a nice cooled coach. Although maintenance did admit the need a better meter to check it and they have af least another site that I tested with a burnt outlet that needs to be replaced My wife was the one who had a “feeling” it was in their end, they always have those feelings and me I was already pricing a replacement cord lol. As far as our Genny it’s old and we don’t want to lean in it too hard not to mention gas prices. not to mention electric is not metered here.

Yes he’s right about his suspicions, I know what you mean about transfer switch, luckily it wasn’t too cloudy and our solar took over.

Latest resources

Back