Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

All electronics and heater power on full blast while hooked up to shore power - help!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CBass64

RVF Newbee
2020 Thor Windsport 29m

Every once in a while, we will wake up to hearing the heater running on the RV that is parked near our bedroom in the backyard. When it's parked like this, we do not have the thermostat set to heat or cool. We have it hooked up to shore power to keep the batteries charged, but leave everything turned off. We only have 15amp available currently, but this has also happened while hooked up to 30amp power at my in-law's.

When we hear the heater running, we know it has "freaked out" again, meaning everything powers itself on and runs full blast, tripping the breaker and then eventually draining the batteries and potentially the propane if we don't catch it soon enough. The heater is blowing full blast, the AC shows that is is running on the thermostat, although I don't believe it is actually running since there's no way they could kick on with just 15 amps. The main control panel shows tank heaters, water pump, gas and electric water heater, all lights, literally everything is lit up and the ONLY way to get it to stop freaking out (it doesn't respond to anything you do on the control panel or from the VegaTouch Mira phone app) is to switch off the battery disconnect switch.

So far, we have just lived with this. It happens occasionally, but not so often that we have taken it in to get repaired, because I am worried what it would cost. In the 2 years we've owned it, it's probably happened 6-10 times. But I'm now to the point where I want to figure out what is going on. Has anyone dealt with this before? It actually did this on the way home from purchasing it, but at that point, since it was new to us, we thought we had just done something silly and chalked it up to rookie mistakes. It was hooked up to a 30amp RV hookup at the time.

The only other electrical issue we have with it is occasionally the power step does not come back in when you turn on the engine. When this happens, the step comes in when the engine is off, but it kicks it back out when you turn the engine on (backwards). So we turn off the engine, let the steps come in, disconnect the step power and then drive with it like that. It often times is fixed by the time we get to the next destination and plug it back in (it does not usually fix it immediately to just unplug it and plug it back in). Not sure if this issue is related to the "freaking out" issue described above.

Thanks for any help or tips on either of these issues.

CBass

Welcome to the group. Have you talked to someone at Thor about this? This is something they need to help you with.

Ahhhh, the wonders of modern electronic technology. I keep reading about these problems with your modern campers. (You're not the only person having difficulties.)
Here I am, with my 2002 5th wheel, and I have only one issue with such things. My electro-mechanical thermostat will close it's contacts below freezing, and cause the furnace fan to run, even with the gas shut off.

This simple life is wonderful.

Roger

Latest resources

Back