Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Diesel
TOW/TOAD
GMC Denali 2500
Fulltimer
No
Hello all, anyone have thoughts on traveling the beautiful scenic US 1 in their Class A? We’re 39’ and towing a GMC Denali. Thanks for your thoughts!

Heading that way 9/8 so I'll be monitoring this thread.

Just came into Winter Harbor which is across the bay from Bar Harbor on 1A and 1, no problems. We took ME189 south down the east side of the bay

I drove 1 all the way to Ft. Kent and visited Lubec and East Port on the way (very nice). I didn’t have any problems but I drove the coach into Bar Harbor on 3, left on Mt Desert, left on Main St and then left on West St to get out of town. It was scenic and interesting for an impacted tourist town, but way too tight and I wouldn’t do it again in the coach.

Correction: Leaving for ME 9/6
Planning to visit Bar Harbor also, but, as we're staying an hour north at Bucksport / Fort Knox KOA, we'll be taking the trusty toad into town and up the Cadillac Summit Road.

So we’re in the Schoodic Pennisula, came via US 1. I cannot say it’s “big rig friendly” at all. Lots of construction, cracked up asphalt, traffic, and absolutely nowhere to pull off to walk dogs or grab a bite to eat. Pretty drive but I’m not sure I’d recommend it. One minute you’re going 50-55 then slowing down to 30 as you’re entering the next little town. Again, you’ll enjoy the drive if you like checking out the little towns and are in a small enough rig to pull into and out of small parking lots. Gorgeous area however…those of you coming, enjoy!! 😊

Hopefully the roads to & from our next destination are big rig friendly! (Although not as big as you fellas!)
After 3 nights in Bar Harbor area, we'll be headed to the southern tip of Georgetown Island to Sagadahoc Bay Campground for a couple of nights. Supposed to be scenic and very dog friendly.

Latest resources

Back