• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Using water softener?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I did a permanent installation in a bin, plumbed in with bypass valves so it's in use all the time. I typically do a regen once a month. I made a regen adapter out of a filter housing that I fill with salt and attach to the in line to avoid removing the unit from the coach. Has worked great for the past 2 years or so. Don't think I'd ever go back to hard water.
I too have the water softener installed in a different bay. Also have valves too isolate it while it is removed for regen.
Sounds like you have a better idea. Could you explain your regen adapter a little more? A picture would help me. ;)
Thanks

Started using On the Go a few months ago and I would never go back. What a difference it makes.

I too have the water softener installed in a different bay. Also have valves too isolate it while it is removed for regen.
Sounds like you have a better idea. Could you explain your regen adapter a little more? A picture would help me. ;)
Thanks
I made it from a filter housing (holds just shy of 2 salt containers). Connects in line with quick connects on the valve I installed to transfer the salt to the tank. Works great without wrestling with the tank.

20210810_173642.jpg
20210810_173611.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Now I've got something to do tomorrow. :)

Finally got around to the permanent install, thanks to lostinfla.
Pouring the salt in the extra filter housing makes it so much easier.
Thanks.

Finally got around to the permanent install, thanks to lostinfla.
Pouring the salt in the extra filter housing makes it so much easier.
Thanks.
Let's see it :) Share for others to learn from and anything you learned in the process.

Give me a few days. Well, several days. Supposed to get single digit weather soon. Pretty much the same set up as lostinfla. The softener is located in the second bay on the driver's side.

There are areas of the US where you'll need it such as the AZ area, UT, I've even had on the eastern shores of VA. You don't want hard water in your RV so I would nearly say a water softener is required to have in hard water areas. You can use test strips that come with it, or buy separately, to test your water. This is what I'm doing in higher risk areas to see if I need to setup the water softener. Some stated it's heavy, you can mitigate most of that by emptying the water out when stowing. Here is what I use. The bigger one means less time between regens, in AZ for one person with the larger unit regen is weekly using salt.

Please explain "You don't want hard water in your RV" because I've not seen a need for water treatment yet, but I might not know what's going on to "see" the need. What does hard water do that harms the motorhome?

Latest resources

Back