Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
We use a life long friends address down in Florida as our permanent mailing/legal address. We provide her with those large priority mailing envelopes so about once a month she can stuff them with any important mail and forward it to us where we are traveling. Of course it usually isn't anything significant and if it is she has already photographed it and sent that along.

A couple weeks ago she addressed a priority mail envelope to us where we were camping up in Illinois. When it didn't arrive on the 4th day we tracked it. It was sent to Honolulu! Our friend sent us a copy of her receipt on our phone, it was very clearly addressed to central Illinois, not sure how they sent it clear to Hawaii.

Anyhow, it is finally back in some hub around St Louis and we might have it in Illinois soon. Of course now we are out west. Makes you wonder how the Feds get anything right anymore.

Why do they have to get it right? A business that doesn’t have to worry about success.

Unfortunately we have experienced a few of these situations over the past year of being full time. When it really matters, we don’t use USPS and have to pay the big bucks for FedEx or UPS.
When using USPS we ALWAYS use tracking so we can prove to USPS, using their system, that they messed up…again.

I sent my request to cash in my 401K in a registered letter last October. It still hasn't arrived.

I did it because I was getting ready to leave for Florida in a month and wanted it all cleared up before I left. Luckily I managed to get it done through email.

We’ve had similar problems with USPS over the past few years. Unfortunately, it is not the “postal service“ of the past. It is now run by “an independent commission” that fills leadership positions that neither the President nor Congress can overrule.

Congress saddled USPS with massive debt some years back by requiring them to pre-fund its retirement fund up front. Imagine trying to run a business where the day you hired a new employee, you had to pony up their entire 20-year retirement fund immediately. As a result, staffing has plummeted. And, the “independent commission” appointing a succession of postmasters general on the basis of political affiliation rather than expertise certainly hasn’t helped either.

It is a MESS and doesn’t look like it will be getting better any time soon.

TJ

Wow Hawaii!!! We haven't had any issues yet with mail forwarding in just about 2 yrs now. We end up having MyRVMail forward our stuff only once/month and all campgrounds have approved shipping vs going to the local post office. For sure recommend spending extra and going with Priority Mail for tracking purposes.

Wow Hawaii!!! We haven't had any issues yet with mail forwarding in just about 2 yrs now. We end up having MyRVMail forward our stuff only once/month and all campgrounds have approved shipping vs going to the local post office. For sure recommend spending extra and going with Priority Mail for tracking purposes.
It was a USPS priority mail package! We purchase several of them in advance of our summer travels and leave them with our friend. She loads them and forwards them when we need her to do it. That is how we knew it went across the ocean because we tracked it. She does everything a paid mail service does, except we don't pay her for it.

Just to add insult to injury, when the package did arrive it was tore open and several things were missing. Over the next few days two magazines showed up that had dropped out of it. A credit card statement and a couple other envelopes never showed up. They must have blown out of the plane somewhere over the water.

Sorry to hear they screwed up your delivery. I've had more issues with FedEx and UPS over the years and they deliver a small fraction of the 130 billion pieces of mail that USPS handles each year.
Just a little love for our postal workers. :)

We recently read somewhere that everyone should now expect delays throughout the USPS system. Due to a family death we are in the process of dealing with mailing documents to several insurance companies and brokerage firms. We may start looking at using FedX next day air delivery options instead.

Sorry to hear they screwed up your delivery. I've had more issues with FedEx and UPS over the years and they deliver a small fraction of the 130 billion pieces of mail that USPS handles each year.
Just a little love for our postal workers. :)
Everytime the USPS tries to close a post office the residents go to their congressman and get it stopped. That is a major problem when trying to balance the books. Years ago USPS tried to get UPS or FEDEX to take over delivery. Both agreed they wanted the large population areas but would have nothing to do with the outlying areas. They recognized the money pit involved. Just about every tiny town nationwide thinks they must have a post office. Now USPS is advertising for new employees and cant get enough help to handle the mail load. Our government has never allowed the post office to run as a business so this is what we are stuck with.

Latest resources

Back