Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Verizon Pre-Paid Unlimited = NO MORE HOTSPOT!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mobley....no problems

I have a Verizon prepaid hotspot...no problems

JME

Dealing with these companies does require patience, perseverance, and even a sense of humor.
[emoji4]

Hi Corey,

I understand. But...

Mobley is a dedicated HS device.

VZ Hotspot is a dedicated HS device.

Both are irrelevant when we talk about putting a SIM CARD into another device such as an iPhone, iPad, OR PepWave.

If I wanted to use (and pay a lot more) for a “dedicated” hotspot, I’d have NO PROBLEMS either.

Incidentally, I have T-Mobile for all of my iOS devices and I HAVE NO PROBLEMS with them...other than some areas without coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok...I’ve been reading a lot on these threads here, and on that “other” forum...

It seems to me that the limiting item is unlimited data. We’re retired, so only need some Internet and streaming for Netflix, etc. I realize there will be some remote areas that won’t have reliable cell service.

Can’t I just use one of my phones as a hotspot for streaming?

I'm not fully understanding the scenario but it may be similar to what I found. When I went from postpaid to prepaid on my iPhone SIM the hotspot option went away on the phone in the Settings area. I immediately moved that line back to postpaid so I could hotspot my phone. I have a feeling that's what you're talking about with Verizon. It seems carriers will not allow hotspotting a phone on a prepaid plan.

However, with a hotspot device such as a MiFi 8800L that many of us use including @CoreyinWP on a prepaid sim with Verizon it works fine. I can use that sim in a Pepwave as well. I can take that MiFi 8800L anywhere I want and tether my phone or tablet to it so yeah, you'd have to pay around $200 (new) for the hotspot device which may be worthwhile or find one used on ebay. I have a 7730 I should have sold, it's just a backup to the 8800 but I really could get rid of it too.

I think it all comes down to trying to understand the limitations of the various plans and whether it's a cellular phone vs. hotspot plan and what they are allowed to do. Again, I learned right away when moving my AT&T cell phone plan from postpaid to prepaid that I lost the hotspot and needed that as I don't buy cellular iPads and only use them on WiFi.

Can’t I just use one of my phones as a hotspot for streaming?

Per my post above yes, if your plan offers the hotspot option. I lost that option when I went to a plan that didn't offer it by mistake and of course I wasn't told by the sales person that I'd lose this as they told me it would all be the same but I'd pay less in the end. He was wrong!

Keep an eye out for unlimited plans and dive onto one when you see it. You can always cancel. They come and go like teasing us as animals. I also got the Sprint hotspot plan which so far has been pretty good. Nothing like AT&T Mobley which I cherish each day I get to still use it.

It also seems timing is everything. I got in on the second limited offering of the Mobley and the only offering of the Verizon hotspot unlimited plan. Have to be ready to pounce when the carriers put up their “test balloons”

Both are irrelevant when we talk about putting a SIM CARD into another device such as an iPhone, iPad, OR PepWave.

SIM CARD has nothing to do with any device, what matters is the PLAN/LINE that's attached to that SIM card and its limitations as we all know. Can you clarify which exact plan your OP is referencing? I think to better understand the situation and info you're sharing it would help to know the plan and its details and did something change?

Last edited:
Look, this issue is this...

It’s a MOVING TARGET!

If you’re not full time, and choose to activate, deactivate, and then reactivate, you’re on for a rough ride.

Back in June, we bought the $70 PrePaid sim and could use it anywhere; iPhone, PepWave, etc.

But, we killed it after our trips were done. This week, we reactivated it and found out that Verizon changed that plan to no longer include the Personal Hotspot feature.

Why do we care about PHS? Well, without any TMO service, my wife is dead in the water when we leave the Newmar WiFi. So, I WANTED to use PHS to give her data and WiFi calling capability.

As for the AT&T Pre-Paid plans? Take a look at their new matrix. Yikes. There are several that have FINE PRINT that say “Not allowed for Mobile Hotspot use”.

So, for those who continue long time existing plans; you’re golden...grandfathered. But, for others who are new, or buy on the fly...it’s a real challenge.

In the end...grabbing a dedicated mobile hotspot may be the only alternative. It’s just a frustrating step backwards when you need to carry an extra device to give you service when 2 months ago, you are able to use PHS on your iPhone.

BTW, I’m not married to PHS and rarely use it. This week, however, I REALLY needed it, and can’t use it.

Ah, now it's starting to make sense miyagee! I'm not full time but I do leave the plans running. Not the most cost effective but I don't have the surprises like you're experiencing. We all knows these plans are changing so often it can be hard to understand what's going to work or not. Prepaid plans you can NOT PAY and do so for I think up to 90 days then just pay again and it will resume. There is no need to deactivate it as that does kill the line/plan I believe. So maybe consider a prepaid option and learn how to play the game just like DISH where you can stop paying and the service suspends then you pay again and it resumes. Not paying and deactivating are very different.

SIM CARD has nothing to do with any device, what matters is the PLAN/LINE that's attached to that SIM card and its limitations as we all know. Can you clarify which exact plan your OP is referencing? I think to better understand the situation and info you're sharing it would help to know the plan and its details and did something change?

I’m sorry, Neal, I don’t know how to make it more clear. I stated EXACTLY what I have in my OP, but will say it again:

The Verizon SIM Card Pre-paid Unlimited Plan for $70/month.

Same here. Not full time but for 70 dollars between the Mobley and Verizon it is worth keeping it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back