• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Visiting Banff and Columbia Ice Fields

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
silliness aside, thank you for the information...

Crossing from the US into Canada is reasonably painless with any type of vehicle just as long as you are aware that we are deathly afraid of guns! :) Well, most of us aren't but there are very specific laws regarding bring a weapon across the border. Here is a link Import and export a firearm or weapon into Canada. You don't say where you are going to cross into Canada but pretty much any port of entry that is located on an interstate route will be manned 24/7. I suggest that you fill your fuel tank as much as possible BEFORE you cross. The sticker shock regarding the cost of fuel just might kill you. If you are Costco Member, as in the US, they usually have the best prices. Also if you like to have to odd alcoholic drink, you may wish to come prepared. Booze is a big part of the government's ability to rob it's citizens legally. When I purchase 175 ml of booze in the US it is for around $20.00 US. In Canada, it will cost me over $60.00 Cdn. Same with beer. Very pricy but ours does have a little more power than the US stuff. The Canadian government does not require a COVID test at the moment and you should check your own health coverage to make sure it is valid in Canada. Please make sure you are healthy too. Here in Canada our health system is in shambles. A common saying is that "In Canada you get to wait in line only to die before anyone can treat you". I jest! It's not that bad but service in the US is far faster and usually with more up to date facilities. No matter what country you travel to, it is always best to have an up to date passport with you. You are mostly okay using American Currency where as our Canadian Dollar is rarely accepted in the US. But be aware, some places will take your US dollar at par which means you are losing about 30 cents. Change your US bucks for our colored money before you come. Specking of cents. Canadians no longer use pennys. If you buy something that costs 98 cents. You will pay a dollar. Also, speed is measured in Kilometers. A Km is about 6 10ths of a mile. If you see a road sign that says Calgary 10 get ready to fire the retros cause it's only 6 miles away. If you see the speed posted at 100...don't do it! We do like to drive fast but not that fast. Set your cruise at 60. Most major highways have a posted speed of 70. And last but not least......if you are from the south....lose the Y'all and learn to say eh as in "Nice day eh? Not "How y'all doin?" I think I have covered some of the more important parts. Ask away if you have any other questions or concerns.

Darrell

Give’r…

I promise not to take ANY public spots in Banff or Canmore! :) The coach fits in our yard and I will only be in Canmore for a short period during April and May. We planned a small trip to Barkerville then up to Dawson and over to the Peace Country. From there, back down to Calgary. We will be at our daughters place until mid September then start our big trip again.

Where are you planning to stay in the Bow Valley?

Darrell
We normally stay at the Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court. Highly doubt we'll make it out there this year, though, as my wife is expecting twin boys in early June.

We normally stay at the Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court. Highly doubt we'll make it out there this year, though, as my wife is expecting twin boys in early June.
Congrats!! I hope all goes well!

I believe that Tunnel Mountain the best in the valley for a serviced site just darn hard to get.

Darrell

The Athabasca Glacier was fun a couple of weeks ago.

CB04FAD5-7982-41C6-906A-CCAF3973C879.jpeg

Latest resources

Back