• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Voice Over Artist Wanting to Do Live Recording While Boondocking

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have a Pepwave Max Transit CAT-18. It is a single modem router dual SIM device. In it's present configuration, it will only connect to one cellular service at a time. I use AT&T & Verizon. Switch over from one cellular carrier to another is not seamless without additional hardware or software. However, if you have decent WiFi available, the switch over to WiFi is instantaneous if your cellular coverage goes down.

ComplicatedVan, at the risk of offending you, have your read the information available from the web site for the software you plan on using (see link above)? If none of what is in the link above makes any sense to you, I would submit you have a steep learning curve ahead of you. There appears to be more involved (based on what I read) than just sending a processed file somewhere.

Out of curiosity, have you acquired the software and used it on your computer yet?
Haha, yeah, no offense taken. I have read that stuff. My philosophy being that I can talk to people who are experts and eventually I can get set up with a system that works for me. It may seem strange to you but I have no interest in being an expert in this. It's not my interest. If indeed I must become an expert, so be it, but I'm not a computer engineer, IT person, or anything of the sort, like 99.9% of all other people on the planet. So, we all seek the advice of people like yourself and those on this forum who are kind enough to share it. I have Source Connect on my computer and I use it for jobs, yes. To set it up, I enlisted the help of a sound engineer I knew who helped me out. I log on, put the settings where they need to be, and do my thing. What I learned in a troubleshooting phone call with a woman who works for Source Connect is the hole Port Forwarding thing may or may not be necessary, how bonkers is that. I connected with her using my phone as a hotspot and it worked and she said she usually finds that cellphone hotspot use presents no problems because there are less "firewalls" in cellphones. Go figure. Basically, to use the software at this point in the apartment I am in, I connect ethernet cable to my computer and I'm off.

So, with the Pepwave Cat-18 do you just remove one sim card and place another one if the signal on the first carrier is no good? I am unclear about how the bonding works but I guess you need a dual modem for that. My understanding is that using a dual modem enables a bonded connection which somehow combines the carriers and gets you a better signal. Thanks for engaging with me.

Ok. So...

I’ve got the new Transit DUO with Dual modems. It’s their most expensive offering for that model but allows me full time dual carriers.

I’d forget about true bonding, per se, because it’s gonna take more money thrown at PepWave via their SpeedFusion service. As it is, the Duo allows me to “Load Balance” if I wish. Not the same, but fine. Once again, your needs are very, VERY light so either of these will be fine on a good Carrier.

I also had the Max BR1 MkII which is a SINGLE modem with 2 SIM slots. It’s fine, but takes 2 minutes for a switchover; something that was too long for my patient-pants.
Ok, well you absolutely know more terms and things than you let on, ha. I figure I will stay in a boondocking site that I have found has signal. If the session drops, so be it and I can jump back on and everyone will be cool about it, but I keep hearing in videos and forums that dual modems allows for bonding that's not speedfusion, and that bonding will somehow increase the signal strength. Is that what you mean by load balancing? THANKS!

No. Bonding is different than Balancing.

Gonna be hard to explain without a very LONG article or video, to which there are plenty out there.

I’d almost liken it to this example in the world of water...

Bonding is like having Dual 4” pipes flowing water at full capacity. Lotsa water...like DOUBLE what a single pipe would give you.

Load Balancing is like having two or more sources of water, some of which may not be flowing the best or have the best pressure. But, to share the load and keep the water coming, the water demand is shared among all the sources.

You’re in deep, here. Pull back. Keep it simpler for your needs. You’ll be fine and save money.

ComplicatedVan, Understand where you are coming from.

With regards to the CAT-18 with dual SIM cards..... There are 2 SIM slots (one with an AT&T SIM installed & one with a Verizon SIM installed), but. only one modem. The device allows for a variety of SIM management options. Seamless, timely switch over from one SIM to the other takes a little time. as there is only one modem.

I agree, in principal, with the advice from CaptainGizmo. Keep it as simple as possible as you are not inclined to invest time in becoming familiar with all the nuances associated with networking & the transmission of data over the internet.

The impact of CGNAT on data transfer with cellular internet service is a very real issue if devices outside of your network require communications with devices inside of your network. This is the only point I've been trying to make with regards to what type of device you might need. Your data throughput needs are really not that great.

Prior to making any decision on what to acquire in order for you to have cellular connectivity while on the road, you really need to determine if your software configuration requires devices outside of your network to communicate with devices inside of your network. This is the port forwarding issue & where CGNAT will most likely be an issue. The Source Connect person who told you port forwarding may or may not be an issue, provided about as much help to you as me telling you, you may get wet if it rains.

Based on what I've read about your software, the question should be along the lines of the following; 'Based on my installed configuration of the software, will devices outside of my network need access to devices inside of my network?'. If the answer is yes, you will need a cellular device with a router & the CGNAT issue will require a solution (UGH!, know you did not want to hear that). If the answer is no, you won't need a router for connectivity. If the response is I don't know, the person you are talking to is not qualified to be answering the question. It may be possible the individual who assisted you in the setup previously can answer this question.

Good luck in living you dream. I've been working 'on the road' for about a year. It has been very rewarding & satisfying.

No. Bonding is different than Balancing.

Gonna be hard to explain without a very LONG article or video, to which there are plenty out there.

I’d almost liken it to this example in the world of water...

Bonding is like having Dual 4” pipes flowing water at full capacity. Lotsa water...like DOUBLE what a single pipe would give you.

Load Balancing is like having two or more sources of water, some of which may not be flowing the best or have the best pressure. But, to share the load and keep the water coming, the water demand is shared among all the sources.

You’re in deep, here. Pull back. Keep it simpler for your needs. You’ll be fine and save money.
Load balancing is a two full tanks, equal in size, full of water with 1 inch pipes of equal length connected to a t connector of equal size and finally a 1 inch exit pipe.

Same example as above, same 2 tanks, same 1 inch exits, but this time going to a 4 inch T with a 4 inch exit.

Now you are bonded.

Load balancing is a two full tanks, equal in size, full of water with 1 inch pipes of equal length connected to a t connector of equal size and finally a 1 inch exit pipe.
Love it. We’re using water and hose for examples of balance and bond.

But just remember, Ronnie, with PepWave load balancing, you can balance between Cellular, WAN, and LAN. And NONE of them necessarily are the same “output”. So, your equal tanks example might be an accurate pictorial.

agree?

Love it. We’re using water and hose for examples of balance and bond.

But just remember, Ronnie, with PepWave load balancing, you can balance between Cellular, WAN, and LAN. And NONE of them necessarily are the same “output”. So, your equal tanks example might be an accurate pictorial.

agree?
In a simple discussion, yes.

In a complex discussion we talk about latency.

In a simple discussion, yes.

In a complex discussion we talk about latency.
Oh, you mean friction loss...Gotcha! ?

Then again, I can show you the FL formula that would tell you that... if you have 4” fire hose that’s too long, you’ll NEVER get water out the end of it. LOL

Latest resources

Back