• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Walk through for preparing a vehicle for flat towing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Is there somewhere I can go for a walkthrough on everything I'd need to do to my 2016 Dodge Grand caravan to prepare it for flat towing behind a class C? We were going to go with a dolly, but I've been told if you get into a situation where you need to back up, you have to disconnect first, but not so with a flat tow? And it has to be the Dodge as our other vehicle is a Jeep Renegade which apparently you can't flat tow OR tow with a dolly.

So, what do I need to do to my van? What do I need to buy, have installed, etc? Thanks. This is part of our summer around the US trip this year and with a Class C on a 450 chassis we think this is doable, unless I'm wrong there too? Thank you.
The most important part is the weight of your vehicle. You say it is 5,000 lb towing capacity. Well that is what it is rated at not what you can tow. My guess would be only 4000 lbs or less plus you have to add the weight of the dolly also into it. So your vehicle needs to weigh only about 3600 to 3800 lbs to be safe. You will need to ask someone what your motorhome is actually able to pull after you weigh your motorhome at the scales ready to leave for your trip. With all your family and food, water, full tank of gas, and everything a else loaded into the motorhome.

The most important part is the weight of your vehicle. You say it is 5,000 lb towing capacity. Well that is what it is rated at not what you can tow. My guess would be only 4000 lbs or less plus you have to add the weight of the dolly also into it. So your vehicle needs to weigh only about 3600 to 3800 lbs to be safe. You will need to ask someone what your motorhome is actually able to pull after you weigh your motorhome at the scales ready to leave for your trip. With all your family and food, water, full tank of gas, and everything a else loaded into the motorhome.
We bought a used Honda Civic to tow, so the weight issue is moot at this point, though we ended up going with a Class A that could have towed it. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back