• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Walk through for preparing a vehicle for flat towing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Crazy thought and to be clear - I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS A DECENT IDEA OR NOT, I HESITATE TO EVEN POST IT - but assuming your class C has enough reserve power, could you upgrade the hitch to an 8k?

@MapNerd there is allot more to tow weight than the hitch. Think Brakes, Suspension, Frame, etc. These trucks are designed to a specific set of tasks. Consequently, these trucks are engineered to accomplish the known set tasks (limits) for the lowest cost. The frame is no larger than necessary, the brakes are no larger than necessary, the transmission, the cooling, all have been designed for this specific set of tasks. The weight of the vehicle is closely managed to provide the best economy and load for the least cost.
If you exceed those limits you are a test pilot....hope it works out for you and those around you....:)

Last edited:
Crazy thought and to be clear - I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS A DECENT IDEA OR NOT, I HESITATE TO EVEN POST IT - but assuming your class C has enough reserve power, could you upgrade the hitch to an 8k?
We actually did look at a Class C we were thinking of buying, mainly because it had the full arctic package, and the owner was the head of fleet maintenance for a city. He had upgraded the hitch, added beefier rear suspension, and a few other structural additions and used it to pull a monster truck. Looked in great shape, but I'm always concerned when people make really really out there modifications. I mean, who knows, it may really be a safe improvement, but still I passed on buying it, just too much that I personally don't have the knowledge to really verify. In my younger, pre-family days, I'd take the risk. I'm not risking them now though.

UPDATE: After further study, we were able to pick up a gently used Honda Civic for pulling on a dolly. Now, the question is, after looking at dozens of options, ranging from truck and travel, Class C, and Class A, we have ruled out the truck and travel trailer, and are deciding between two RVs in our budget range, a 2008 Ford Sunseeker with 35k miles, in excellent mechanical condition (the owner is a mechanic and our mechanic checked it out), with a 5000lb hitch, ebrake controller already installed, and no leaks, water damage, nothing but normal cosmetic wear, and the usual features inside. 2 year old tires, good 10 ply. However, it has the added Arctic package, and we live in New England.
The other is a 2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L, appears to be in excellent condition, even less cosmetic wear, and nothing mechanical that I could find however we can't have our mechanic check it because it's too far away, and I know nothing about the current owner's mechanical abilities, but they have records included. Of course, the Voyage is much nicer inside, bigger fridge, bathroom, etc. 2 slides vs. 1 on the Class C. I know it's hard to compare apples to oranges but we like both of them. The added benefit of the over cab bed for my 10 year old vs. him sleeping on the push button opening couch in the Voyage is nice, but again, the Voyage has nicer features. Same 5000lb hitch. Everything appeared tight, but I'm not a mechanic. The biggest thing we noticed were 10 year old tires, but little wear on them. Our state doesn't have a tire date limit for inspection, but still, 10 years. My wife is leaning toward the Voyage, but the knowns of the Sunseeker, mechanically, are pulling me to that side. There is only a 7k difference in price, with the Voyage being more, of course.

The biggest thing we noticed were 10 year old tires, but little wear on them.
RV tires rarely wear out; they do “age out” at 5-7 years, however. State inspection “tire date limits” have no relationship to safety, whether you have them or not. Outdated tires are subject to failure at much higher rates than newer ones. If you buy the Voyage, you will need to replace the tires, so factor that into your budget and what you offer for the coach.

TJ

Might as well make it a $10k difference in price, because that voyager NEEDS new tires. 10 years is way too old for tires carrying your loved ones, condition be damned.

RV tires rarely wear out; they do “age out” at 5-7 years, however. State inspection “tire date limits” have no relationship to safety, whether you have them or not. Outdated tires are subject to failure at much higher rates than newer ones. If you buy the Voyage, you will need to replace the tires, so factor that into your budget and what you offer for the coach.

TJ
I was just reading that somewhere else. A quick phone call and the seller has already agreed to take the cost of the tires off from the asking price because I brought that up, thanks. I wouldn't drive anything on 10 year old tires anyway. $500 each! I'm not used to that.

I was just reading that somewhere else. A quick phone call and the seller has already agreed to take the cost of the tires off from the asking price because I brought that up, thanks. I wouldn't drive anything on 10 year old tires anyway. $500 each! I'm not used to that.
(y) Glad you caught that. Don’t scrimp on tires; buy top quality ones as your family’s safety is riding on them.

Have you also checked the age of the chassis and house batteries? Those also age out at 5-6 years; sooner if they have not been properly maintained. They are kind of pricey too.

TJ

(y) Glad you caught that. Don’t scrimp on tires; buy top quality ones as your family’s safety is riding on them.

Have you also checked the age of the chassis and house batteries? Those also age out at 5-6 years; sooner if they have not been properly maintained. They are kind of pricey too.

TJ
Thanks, I hadn't checked either of those, but I will.

Another update, we purchased the 2007 Winnebago Voyage 35l today. Can't pick it up for a couple weeks, but we were able to negotiate all new tires and all new batteries and still got the price down. It was on consignment at a dealership, and the dealership is throwing in an oil change and detailing, so we feel pretty good about it. The problem now is narrowing down where we want to go this summer, we only have two months for vacation. Surprisingly, that's not as much time as it sounds like.

Latest resources

Back