• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Walkie Talkies

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Here is a link that nicely explains the differences between GMRS and FRS radio services.

For local use, between family members/friends, spotting a trailer and such, the FRS is adequate. The actual "quality" depends more on the hardware as opposed to the mode.

Hi RB,
What things do you like about Gmrs over FRS like the Midland? Still trying to decide. TIA
As @Bob K4TAX posted, the hardware matters.

I too am a ham operator, and have both a ham and gmrs in my jeep. When traveling with others that are not ham operators, gmrs is a good alternative. The gmrs allows use of repeaters, and be up to 50w of power for sight to sight communication and many hardware options.

Frs is only 1-3watts, and often has too cheap of hardware. If you are just communicating around the coach for parking, frs is fine. If vehicle to vehicle, you will want gmrs and external antenna.

Makes a lot of sense, thank you. Since you mentioned HAM, are certain freqs preferred for RVs? (I am KK4CIF).

We’ve been through a number of cheap walkie talkies and the set we have now is the best of the ones we’ve had. They are Midland X-Talker, 22 channel FRS walkie talkies. You can buy them for around $40 at Amazon or Cabela’s.

Our main use of these is when I back our fifth wheel into camp sites.
Thank You

Ham here as well. VE6ROK and wife is VE6ANG. But for the non hams in our family we recommend the better quality midlands.

Makes a lot of sense, thank you. Since you mentioned HAM, are certain freqs preferred for RVs? (I am KK4CIF).
I am WD4LOW

I have not found many rv hams, and even fewer on the road. I run 2m/70cm in the rv and jeep.

I know quite a few Hams. guess it depends on your clan.

I know quite a few Hams. guess it depends on your clan.
I only run HF in the travel trailer. I have several antenna configurations which I choose to use. Mostly a single wire tossed in a nearby tree. If I'm desperate and have no trees around, I'll put up the HF6V vertical.

I only run HF in the travel trailer. I have several antenna configurations which I choose to use. Mostly a single wire tossed in a nearby tree. If I'm desperate and have no trees around, I'll put up the HF6V vertical. Not aware of any specific frequencies used by RV'ers.

As @Bob K4TAX posted, the hardware matters.

I too am a ham operator, and have both a ham and gmrs in my jeep. When traveling with others that are not ham operators, gmrs is a good alternative. The gmrs allows use of repeaters, and be up to 50w of power for sight to sight communication and many hardware options.

Frs is only 1-3watts, and often has too cheap of hardware. If you are just communicating around the coach for parking, frs is fine. If vehicle to vehicle, you will want gmrs and external antenna.
Most of the less expensive radios have a speaker the size of a nickel and only about 1/4 watt of distorted audio. And it gets worse the louder the volume. The better quality radios will have a larger speaker and better quality audio. With FRS radios, using them in the campground for less than 1/4 mile communications 1 watt is adequate for line-of-site communications. Otherwise, don't be concerned about the "sales pitch" of a 5-watt radio. It will just suck the battery down faster. If you believe you need more power and distance then go with the GMRS radios. One pays for what one gets.

Latest resources

Back