RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 11"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Chevy Trailblazer
Fulltimer
No
I’ve had this topic on my todo list for quite some time. I finally got to it, and OH MY! What a difference. Operating the valves I always felt the drag of the blade on the rubber seal. I knew a lubricant was necessary. Now, so much easier each way. Smooth and drag-free.

I did not invent this tip. It’s been around for years, but wanted to reiterate it. Many have documented it and I will not. Go here:

You will hear and see the process as a simple and easy method.

Thanks! Now I've got another thing to add to my to-do list. :rolleyes:

I'm on the fence on this tip. Having done work on these valves replacing them with Drainmaster electric gate valves I'm familiar with the workings of these. First off, I'm not sure how long the gaskets last in these gate valves. They are easy to replace and that's probably a good time to lube the valves as well. Typically you lube the entire gates with food grade lube which is relatively thick. You don't lube the rubber gaskets, you put the lube on the gates directly. As they move open and closed the lube will get where it needs. I imagine it's probably a longer term fix vs. a spray solution. You also have to be careful of what spray you use and how it affects a rubber o-ring that seals the gates. I did not watch the video but I've seen this tip before.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006N5S1C/?tag=rvf01-20

Amazon.com: Haynes Lubri-Film Tube 1 - 1oz. Tube: Industrial & Scientific

I have found another method to avoid the drilling. At the beginning of the season, I put an external valve on and put the valve lubricant in he tank. Then I open the inner black and gray valves and let the gaskets soak for 3-5 days. Ten dump and remove outer valve.

During the summer, maybe twice, I put a long rubber tube on the end of a WD40 SILICONE spray can. I snake it upto each valve with gate closed and give a generous shot. Then work the valve a few times. Next I open the valves (tanks empty and rinsed, of course) and snake the tube just past the open valve. Again squirting generously, and work the valve after, withdrawing the tube. Works great. No holes drilled.

I have found another method to avoid the drilling. At the beginning of the season, I put an external valve on and put the valve lubricant in he tank. Then I open the inner black and gray valves and let the gaskets soak for 3-5 days. Ten dump and remove outer valve.

During the summer, maybe twice, I put a long rubber tube on the end of a WD40 SILICONE spray can. I snake it upto each valve with gate closed and give a generous shot. Then work the valve a few times. Next I open the valves (tanks empty and rinsed, of course) and snake the tube just past the open valve. Again squirting generously, and work the valve after, withdrawing the tube. Works great. No holes drilled.
It would take enough lube to fill about 7 FEET of 3 inch pipe for that method to work on my trailer. I just drilled into my valves and soaked them with WD-40. That made a huge difference in how they operate.

Just did mine and it worked. Next time I would use a smaller bit with a #6 self tapping screw.

It would take enough lube to fill about 7 FEET of 3 inch pipe for that method to work on my trailer. I just drilled into my valves and soaked them with WD-40. That made a huge difference in how they operate.
It is only a few ounces in 4 gallons of water. You may use 2/5 of one bottle. That would be 8 gallons.

Having been in the industrial chemical business for 40+ years I do know for a fact that WD40 will react to many rubber based products causing some to swell. I don’t know what the gaskets in the valves consist of but I’m leery of using a product like WD40 on them. IIWM, I would use a silicone based spray lube. Just my humble opinion.

Learn something new every day! I never thought about the reaction side of using WD-40. Thanks for the education! I happen to have some spray silicone for the next time.

Having been in the industrial chemical business for 40+ years I do know for a fact that WD40 will react to many rubber based products causing some to swell. I don’t know what the gaskets in the valves consist of but I’m leery of using a product like WD40 on them. IIWM, I would use a silicone based spray lube. Just my humble opinion.
No. WD40 Silicone. Not the regular WD40. Or any silicone spray.

Latest resources

Back