RV Length
37’
Chassis
Ford
Engine
V10
TOW/TOAD
None
Had a nice ride on the first leg of this trip. I pulled into the truck stop, filled up (ouch), then wet topark in the designated RV spot for the night. As I pull intothe spot and begin to straighten, I hear glass break. Agrhhhh! I look out the window and see a portion of a glass bottle sitting in the spot and my tire found it. Glass dug in the full height of the tread. Try to find a 255/80R 22.5 Michelin XRV today. None in the state of N.Y or Washington. Michelin is back ordered. A few are available online. That does not help, if sitting for three days will make you late for an important appt. Finally found some Yokahamas (265/70R 22.5, I think). I would of coursehave to buy two, and discard a perfectly good Michelin.

The guy,although new at this job was quite good. Between the two of us, we came upwiththe idea to remove the glass, examine the inside of the tire (no penetration), then put a heavy patch behind where the glass was and remount. It was a steer tire so I reaaly wanted to make sure it was safe.

Kudos to Coach-net. I was back on the road about 1:45 the next day. Thank God it wasn’t a Friday or beginning of a three day weekend.

Moral: 1) look carefully before pulling into a space
2) don’t break anything until supply chain problems are fixed 😎 Good luck with that one.

Between, myself, Newmar, and Coach-net, we did locate an XRV, but not available until Monday. What a night And morning! Fortunately I am back on schedule.

posted for your entertainment.

Not happy this happened to you. I don’t feel it is entertaining. It is a good reminder for me to G.O.A.L. Before backing into a spot. I can easily look into my mirrors and back up camera and think nothing is in the way. But I cannot see the whole space as completely or clearly behind the wheel. Or have a spotter there.

Sounds like a good decision on the tire. Lucky it only went tread deep.

Thanks for posting. Safe travels.

I parked under the causeway neat Port Arthur on the Tx/La border and when I got out saw the markings in the ground (second pic) so I figured I did something right that day.

Attachments

• D2084EF0-2FD5-4744-87A5-7A09F926661D.jpeg
    D2084EF0-2FD5-4744-87A5-7A09F926661D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 3FCB6427-C374-454A-83C1-A5AFAA447D06.jpeg
    3FCB6427-C374-454A-83C1-A5AFAA447D06.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
Woah! Sorry that happened! DW and I have been really lucky so far.....

I parked under the causeway neat Port Arthur on the Tx/La border and when I got out saw the markings in the ground (second pic) so I figured I did something right that day.
Are you a contrarian investor? 🤣

Had a nice ride on the first leg of this trip. I pulled into the truck stop, filled up (ouch), then wet topark in the designated RV spot for the night. As I pull intothe spot and begin to straighten, I hear glass break. Agrhhhh! I look out the window and see a portion of a glass bottle sitting in the spot and my tire found it. Glass dug in the full height of the tread. Try to find a 255/80R 22.5 Michelin XRV today. None in the state of N.Y or Washington. Michelin is back ordered. A few are available online. That does not help, if sitting for three days will make you late for an important appt. Finally found some Yokahamas (265/70R 22.5, I think). I would of coursehave to buy two, and discard a perfectly good Michelin.

The guy,although new at this job was quite good. Between the two of us, we came upwiththe idea to remove the glass, examine the inside of the tire (no penetration), then put a heavy patch behind where the glass was and remount. It was a steer tire so I reaaly wanted to make sure it was safe.

Kudos to Coach-net. I was back on the road about 1:45 the next day. Thank God it wasn’t a Friday or beginning of a three day weekend.

2) don’t break anything until supply chain problems are fixed 😎 Good luck with that one.

Between, myself, Newmar, and Coach-net, we did locate an XRV, but not available until Monday. What a night And morning! Fortunately I am back on schedule.

Well…… we have been married for over fifty years……BUT….the closest we come to a serious confrontation, is when we are backing into a difficult rv spot, the most difficult is the the back corner, at an angle, at our home storage area for the coach. 😳😳😳 I have learned the hard way to thoroughly to inspect every site before I guide him in. These big beasts we drive keep us alert! After your post, I will make sure to glance for glass! Judy D

Sorry to hear this brother. I think I would have been tempted to install the 2 new Yokahamas and keep the good Michelin as a spare. After seeing the pics of my friends wreck when their steer tire blew out I'm really scared about the condition of my front tires. He is a full timer and travels a lot so he's pretty particular with his maintenance and he still blew a front tire and totaled his RV, Gold Wing and Toad and almost killed his wife. If I ran over glass like that then I'd replace the tire.

Sorry to hear this brother. I think I would have been tempted to install the 2 new Yokahamas and keep the good Michelin as a spare. After seeing the pics of my friends wreck when their steer tire blew out I'm really scared about the condition of my front tires. He is a full timer and travels a lot so he's pretty particular with his maintenance and he still blew a front tire and totaled his RV, Gold Wing and Toad and almost killed his wife. If I ran over glass like that then I'd replace the tire.
Sorry tohear about your friend. Did they find the cause?

Tire will likely get replaced. The glass was removed and the inside is pristine. I am with you, very sensitive about tires. I contacted a tire shop that can get the tire. Thank GodI got to my destination on time and without further incident. I will beoff the road for several weeks, so I have time now to find a replacement. No room anywhere to carry a spare.

Sorry tohear about your friend. Did they find the cause?

Tire will likely get replaced. The glass was removed and the inside is pristine. I am with you, very sensitive about tires. I contacted a tire shop that can get the tire. Thank GodI got to my destination on time and without further incident. I will beoff the road for several weeks, so I have time now to find a replacement. No room anywhere to carry a spare.
As you can see the tire was totally shredded. No telling what caused it. But he couldn't get control of it after the blow out and hit a tree. I'm afraid after seeing this if I find ANY kind of visable damage to a tire it's coming off my motorhome. Even though the glass didn't damage the inside of your tire it surely weakened the outside. Be careful my friend. I don't want to see pictures of your wreck too.

Attachments

• Tire.jpg
    Tire.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 19
  • RV.jpg
    RV.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Shannon.jpg
    Shannon.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Latest resources