• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Watching them back-in.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We have FSR radios. I have Saundra stand out far enough to be seen in the rear view so I don't hit a branch or something I can't see. Although I can park "it" where I want it I don't aim for perfection. Close enough is good for me. Truth is only I know if I hit the bulls eye. And no I don't spend more than at best 15 min. parking.

As an ex truck driver I love watching people back in. Not only the ones with trailers have problems, but some have problems with their toad. Yes, there are times when it is hard to hit the broad side of a barn, but some seem to be more prone to missing the barn all together. Great entertainment!!
When I retired from my real job I tried trucking for a year. Found out it wasn't for me. Not an easy life for sure. Did learn a lot from it though. I have kept my class A license up to date, health card and all. One thing I learned for sure I don't care who the heck you are, your going to have good days backing and bad days backing. Even the best driver can have a bad day and can't back in to a dock with 40 yards of space on both sides. Then again there are some folks who just never do get it .

When I retired from my real job I tried trucking for a year. Found out it wasn't for me. Not an easy life for sure. Did learn a lot from it though. I have kept my class A license up to date, health card and all. One thing I learned for sure I don't care who the heck you are, your going to have good days backing and bad days backing. Even the best driver can have a bad day and can't back in to a dock with 40 yards of space on both sides. Then again there are some folks who just never do get it .
If I had unlimited money, I would by a big tricked out hood truck, loaded with chrome and lights, and a trailer and just roam the country. Yaba daba daba doo.:unsure:

There may be nothing more enjoyable than sitting on the patio on a warm spring day sipping a cold one and watching the parade of folks trying to back in their rig.

Recently we watched an older couple try to back in a tear drop for 45 minutes. Finally got it in sideways. :D

Then he spent almost a hour unloading the back of his truck and setting up.

BTW, they left the next morning. :unsure:
I'm sooooo glad you posted this......for years I thought there was something wrong with me! This is one of my favorite things to do!

I really like to be able to initially see an RVer first enter the campground. I have gotten pretty good at predicting how well he/she is going to be able to get their RV into a site based on how they pull in. About 90% of newbies that can't back up worth a darn will for some reason drive in fast and try to back up faster. It is a sure sign they don't know what they are doing and are going to entertain everyone.

A couple days ago we watched an older couple pull in with a 40' DP. This coach had some age on it but it was well taken care of and looked like new. The old guy driving was probably at least 80. Since his site was a pull thru he whipped it in like he was late for a hot date or something. He had his toad unhooked and the coach situated in a matter of minutes. He did it so fast we wondered if he was traveling with a twin brother or something. Anyway, the last thing they did was crank up this wild local roof top antenna. This thing had to get great reception because it stood about 5 feet above the coach.

Anyway the whole time they were in that site they would take off in their toad and always seem to be in a hurry, never talking to anyone or waving. He drove in and out of the campground about twice the speed of everyone else. Then yesterday morning I'm just starting on my first cup of mud and I look over the he had came outside and hooked up his toad. Within a minute or two he cranked that coach up and started pulling out......problem was that 5 foot local antenna was still sticking up! I started to jump up thinking I could run out the door and maybe yell at him. Before I got to the door he was 50 yards down the road driving like an idiot again. Guess he won't be using that local antenna anytime soon.

Mirrors, backup camera, and side cameras .... only time the DW chimes in is if I am going to hit something.

Before I got to the door he was 50 yards down the road driving like an idiot again. Guess he won't be using that local antenna anytime soon.
You know that is a funny story and one many can relate to. However we have all missed something at one time or another. Maybe not so big as the antenna you describe. Weather your setting up or hitch up getting ready to go, you have missed something. Now for me I don't miss a thing unless I'm distracted by someone( normally the wife) . She can and she will do so each and every time. You'd think I'd be use to it by now and adapt, but NOooo not me. I was lucky once about 2 years ago. She made me forget to check things and do my walk around I normally do. I don't just check my taskings I check hers. Hers are the slide outs and awning, and chock blocks once the truck is hooked up and ready to pull. Mine are the water electric and the nasty nasty cleaning of tanks and line. Well I got about 20 feet and started to make a slight turn always checking my mirrors. Looking out my passenger side I now see the awning still out. In this case I was lucky and no harm done. She was telling me the dogs had to go pee and she need the harness for both which she could not find but they were in the truck which side tracked me to getting them for her . No walk around and almost no awning. We had both blown it . Now I didn't say a word but to this day how she didn't see that big old awning hanging out the side when she put the dogs in the truck I'll never know.

I have now told you all how great a guy I am. I have proof of this fact. My wife is still alive and I'm not in prison for murder.

^^Opposite for us. I'm the eyes and ears, and he forgets all the time.

Setting up and tearing down are a part of RV'ing and I enjoy the work of it. Some days, I am the one taking 45 minutes to back my 40' into my site. Other times, I seem to do it with my eyes closed...never know which version I will be till I put it in reverse. I do like seeing the rigs come and go and usually that is a good time to introduce myself and offer to help. Gets that comradery going. I'm down in Louisiana so we visit parks that may have 20 pipeliners come or go in a day. Luvin it!

Why isn't there anyone around when I back in perfectly? That's what I want to know. I tend to give a greater show putting up my Magne Shade, especially when it's windy. Sometimes that's a 2 tequila process.

Latest resources

Back