Tiffin
RV Model
32SA
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2007 Solara convertible
Fulltimer
No
Being a newbie maybe some one with more experience than myself in the RV world could help with these questions. Now most states require a class B non commercial license for RVs over 26,000 lbs. Does that mean if the registered weight of the vehicle is 26,000 lbs or less I don't need a class B license? Now what if my wife brings all her shoes and it puts me over the 26,000 lbs will I now need a class B license? Does DMV stop RVs and scale them looking for overweight violations? Are you required in any states to go into roadside weight stations to be weighed? What weight of empty RV should I be looking at to stay under the 26,000 lb limit? Would I be able to buy a Tiffin SA32 and not need a special class B license? If the RV weighs right at 26,000 lbs before I add family and gear do I need class B for it? I just don't want to deal with DMV.

You are not required to go into weight stations. They get the license requirements of the GVWR of the RV. In MY state it 26,001 pounds and on an RV towing less than 10,000 pounds requires a Non-Commercial Class A. If the combined GVWR weight of the truck and RV and towing over 10,000 you required a NON-Comericial Class B. If your GVWR is over 26,000 pounds and load to 25,000 you still need the special NON-Commerical licenses. You need to check your state requirements. In some states, it's just an endorsement like "R".

It is definitely an individual state thing! Every state sets ithe own licensing rules. The state that issues your drivers license sets the licensing requirements and all other states are obliged to honor the license.

We are licensed in the State of Washington and there is no requirement for other than a regular drivers license to operate a RV of any size/weight. We have driven our coach in at least half of the US states and have never been required to stop at a weigh station. In fact, many states have signs posted at weigh stations saying that RVs don't need to stop.

TJ

Holland, What does YOUR state require for you rv? All states have reciprocity agreements so what you state requires is valid in all states. As an example, my truck and trailer would require a NON commercial class A license in Texas, while Minnesota says a class D is all that is required. Get legal in your home state and go enjoy the country! Don't over think it.

Latest resources

Back