Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What are the best CELLULAR antennas for RV's today?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Neal Out of curiosity have you ever tried the standard antennas that attach to the back of the router? I am using that set up and it seems to work well although I am sure I would get a better signal up above, I am not a roof guy to go up there unless it’s an emergency.

@Neal Out of curiosity have you ever tried the standard antennas that attach to the back of the router? I am using that set up and it seems to work well although I am sure I would get a better signal up above, I am not a roof guy to go up there unless it’s an emergency.

I have and that's what @MapNerd is doing now. It typically will work well but the optimal antenna setup is no obstructions (metal) between the antenna and the tower. The rabbit ears have the advantage of no line loss so it can improve in some cases. We have options, if struggling for Internet try going back and forth.

We have the Husky and the cell performance for us has been good. Very happy with it.

When it comes to WiFi, not sure if it is the antenna or the Pepwave Max router or a config choice but I am surprised at how challenging it is to get the 5.8 signal just 20’ away (though the signal is going through a densely insulated fiberglass roof and some solid 3/4” maple).

Thinking about trying to use just one leg of the WiFi to go to the roof and the other leg use the rabbit ear. Current campground has decent internet, with password security, so having the roof WiFi antenna is nice to be able to pickup that signal and use it in the Pepwave.

Again, happy with the Parsec Husky for cell.

We have the Husky and the cell performance for us has been good. Very happy with it.

When it comes to WiFi, not sure if it is the antenna or the Pepwave Max router or a config choice but I am surprised at how challenging it is to get the 5.8 signal just 20’ away (though the signal is going through a densely insulated fiberglass roof and some solid 3/4” maple).

Thinking about trying to use just one leg of the WiFi to go to the roof and the other leg use the rabbit ear. Current campground has decent internet, with password security, so having the roof WiFi antenna is nice to be able to pickup that signal and use it in the Pepwave.

Again, happy with the Parsec Husky for cell.

I think it’s the Husky. Neal and I both have that and while it’s great at cellular, it is pretty bad at WiFi. I just use the paddles for WiFi when I am hooked up to the Husky.

Currently, as Neal said I am all
Paddles no Husky and seeing ridiculous speeds. I wager my Husky is poorly placed and I started working on fixing that today.

Husky is only one listed as "omnidirectional" so are the other two Parsec's directional?

Probably. They certainly look directional to me
It doesn't make sense to me as why would you put a directional antenna on a vehicle? All 3 antennas I listed are for first responders.

I think you should get one of each that you don't have and test them since you have paddle antennas installed and I don't want to have to go through disconnecting all those cables on mine! :)

It doesn't make sense to me as why would you put a directional antenna on a vehicle? All 3 antennas I listed are for first responders.

I think you should get one of each that you don't have and test them since you have paddle antennas installed and I don't want to have to go through disconnecting all those cables on mine! :)

Sounds like a good plan @Neal. I am happy to test any antennas you send me.

Hahaha, we disconnect and reconnect “all those wires” each time we move (every couple months).

Tomorrow will try changing the WiFi to the rabbit ear paddles instead of the Husky. Will be interesting to see if or how the WiFi performance is better.

Latest resources

Back