Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What are your travel plans/desires for 2020?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
It's mid November and I'm sure everyone has been thinking about where we want to go in 2020. Share your goals for 2020 in your RV. Are you doing any rallies? Picking up something new? Share your dream for the coming year.

Personally I'm in the middle of a long winter trip in the south west. My plans are forming for a mid-late 2020 trip to the north and west with Glacier and Montana as my targets for exploration. I'm really wanting to go to Alaska but that's going to have to wait for the following year so I can spend some time at the home front with my 80yo mother. I'm not sure about next winter yet, I'll likely stay in VA and get my fill of the season, snow, hot chocolate and eggnog not in shorts. I'm kicking the year off with the Quartzsite rally, I don't have any other events on the radar at this time.

What are your plans for the year ahead?

It’s gonna be busy for us early in the year...we are going to New Zealand & Australia Jan 6-30. Then leave Feb 14th to pick up our 2020 New Aire in Nappanee on the 17th. We’ll spend the week at Camp Newmar, and then a couple of weeks visiting the Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the Chicago area, a friend in central Illinois, and then home. We’re going to the Cajun RV Rally on April 1 in Rayne, Louisiana. www.cajunrvrally.com. My wife is originally from Louisiana, and those Cajun folks know how to throw a party.

This past summer we were gone 3 1/2 months (106 nites), travelled 8,840 miles through 21 states and stayed at 39 different sites. Next summer we will be gone about the same length of time, but fewer miles and stops. We plan to travel up the East Coast to upstate New York then through Canada to Petoskey Michigan where we are booked at Hearthside Grove for 32 nights. Then over to Door County, WI for 2 weeks followed by Madison over Labor Day for a Badger football game. We will then start to head home with stops in Nappanee and Gaffney.

We were going to do the east coast. I have never visited the Wall and it is time. However, with my Mom turning 91 and the DW's Dad turning 91, we decided to spend about 5 months in Illinois instead. They are both "slipping" a little so we may not get this chance again.

We will get cranked back up for some extensive traveling in 2021.

If things go the way I hope....... We are going to be going from Arizona into Nevada, northern Cali, Oregon, Washington, then head back to Minnesota. We need to be back in Minnesota by May 21st for a Dr. appt. for my wife.

In addition to spending time at our place in Polson, Montana, and traveling in the western states, this summer we will be attending the week-long Jaialdi Basque festival in Boise, Idaho. Jaialdi is a major cultural event held every five years in Boise and features traditional Basque athletic competitions, singing and dancing events and traditional food (in great quantity). OK...and there's a significant amount of wine consumed as well. Jaialdi draws Basques from all around the world. We'll be meeting Basque friends there that are traveling from Spain to attend. And, yes; I am a Basque ("Euskalduna naiz").

Want to know more about the Basques? https://www.britannica.com/topic/Basque

TJ

We are going to be spending a month in Norway on a work assignment before heading to Glacier MT. I am researching possibly extending my Norway time to do some RVing in europe (Caravanning?).

The more I research it, the more confused I get. Seems like there is a lot of differences between what we do here in the US and how Europeans glamp. Not so sure I am onboard with the cassette toilet, especially now that I am spoiled by my Sanicon.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

As I understand it from friends in Europe, most of the "caravans" are much smaller units. They were amazed when I sent them a photo of our 40' MADP. Apparently, only rock stars and the very rich have diesel pusher coaches.

Diesel prices in Norway, for instance, are currently about $1.75 per liter (around $6.65 per US gallon). That's more than twice what most of us are paying, and I doubt our various "discount cards" will work there.

TJ

Many of the smaller roads in Europe are just that, smaller...most of the RV’s I’ve seen while there are not much bigger than vans. Also, not as much vacant land to build RV parks. I’ve been on a few river cruises, and there is open land beside the major rivers...Caravaners were jammed in there like Sardines. I also went monthly to Europe for business while working in the semiconductor biz.

I was in Norway on vacation in March; of course, a very different season...eye-wateringly beautiful, and very friendly people. Where will you be in Norway?

Oslo and lillehammer for the business portion, then several weeks traveling the coast and fjords.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back