Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What Class A should we replace ours with?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TXheat

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Holiday Rambler
RV Model
Endeavor
RV Length
Chassis
Roadmaster
Engine
350 Cummins
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
Yes
So here's our situation we recently finally got our wildfire settlement and we want to upgrade out of this old Winnebago that we have outgrown. Our budget is around $60,000 maybe a little more and we would like to find a diesel pusher with a leveling system and slide outs. This may sound a bit unrealistic for the price range but we had a 1994 Tiffin Allegro Bay that had all that including a Cummins engine with Allison transmission and a large propane tank and propane generator, what a rig that wass, we purchased it around 2011 for $12k, unfortunately we lost it in the wildfire. Today it would be very hard to find one of those, they are very rare we're not sure we would want to live in one given the sentimental connection to wildfire loss. Our current full time 1997 Winnebago is about 30 ft and that is for the most part close to the longest I have driven, not considering towing a auto trailer which would be close to about 40 ft. The reason I mention that is because I'm leery of getting into a much longer Class A. Which is kind of a shame because right here in our RV park that we have been staying is a Holiday rambler Endeavor for around $30k that's been for sale for quite some time since the owner had to go into a nursing home. For me 40 ft is already pushing it, add a towed to that and I'm going to be looking at almost 50 ft that I'm going to be responsible for. Not to mention without a tow. I would be driving around town with a 40-foot motorhome to run errands and whatnot. It's been difficult enough with the 30 ft getting around a small City like Corpus Christi, then there was the time when we had just gotten to Texas and stopped in San Antonio to go to Trader Joe's and the parking there was a nightmare my wife had to go into the store and I had to drive around until she got done. Been there done that don't want to do it again.

On a different note the current Class A we live in has solar 300 watts and we would like to find a similar system or better. If we cannot find one we are considering moving the current system to the newer Class A of course we will have to hire someone to do that for us, as that would require removing the panels and putting them on the newer class A. It is a shame that we cannot continue in this class A given the fact that it has solar and a Chevy vortec engine, but we have too many bad memories related to the wildfire and we've outgrown it. One thing I should mention is that the reason we want to go back to diesel is because we want to be able to not only use biodiesel but to do a conversion to run on straight vegetable oil I realize that's usually done with diesel School bus conversions but I imagine it can be done also with a Class A ,otherwise diesel prices are fairly high and since they are not in parity with gasoline it wouldn't make any sense. Speaking of gasoline there is a dealer in corpus Christi that has a 2000s Mirada with 48,000 MI for around $48k , but it has a Ford V10 Triton which while I read is not much worse or better than the Chevy Vortec it's not a diesel engine so that's not our first choice, not to mention neither one of us really like the interior, It's kind of sterile looking., but we have that dealer on the lookout now for what we're looking for and hopefully it's just a matter of time before they find something. I do realize that the more particularly we are the harder is going to be to find, for example, our preference for a non-smoker-owned lightly fragrance class A, used may hinder our search but given the sensitivities we have it's not something we can compromise on. Another thing we don't want to compromise is we want 50 amp not 30 amp 30 amp has been very restrictive for us and we're constantly having to turn off the air conditioning to be able to use the microwave, just tired of it. Some of the other brands were considering are Fleetwood possibly Tiffin, our dream Tiffin would be the Phaeton, they're actually is one that's been parked across from us here all slides it's older but I'm sure we'll worth over $100k easily they are usually very long too. Back when we owned the Allegro Bay we went through Georgia to a Tiffin used parts lot and while we were there, we took the Tiffin factory tour, kit's quite an experience and if you haven't done yet it we highly recommend it

So given the wisdom and advice that I have been given over the years in this forum, with all the various issues that have arisen I would hope that there are some minds here that would be able to make some suggestions that make sense and at the same time are not limiting it would be great to have 40 ft of living space not to mention two slides and that is right here a stone's throw away literally, but again no experience driving something that long, would you be inclined to do it? I also should mention that our intention is to whatever we buy go camping for the rest of the summer and then settle on a property and continue live in the class A until we build alternative housing. I'm sorry this is too much information but unfortunately a lot of it is relevant I look forward to your thoughts, Thanks

Have you got a source for oil? Local no problem, but on the road? Maybe think H gen!

Everything else it is compromise!

Have you got a source for oil? Local no problem, but on the road? Maybe think H gen!

Everything else it is compromise!
No source for oil yet, so looks like we're going with the CLASS A that's here for sale, it has everything but solar, so instead of installing new solar were seeing how we can transfer the solarfrom the RV we are in tomthe the one were getting. The one were getting is 50amp 24 volt, 3x 100 watt Siemens panels. Would the panels still work minus the solar controller since that's 12!volt? Thanks

No source for oil yet, so looks like we're going with the CLASS A that's here for sale, it has everything but solar, so instead of installing new solar were seeing how we can transfer the solarfrom the RV we are in tomthe the one were getting. The one were getting is 50amp 24 volt, 3x 100 watt Siemens panels. Would the panels still work minus the solar controller since that's 12!volt? Thanks
Slow down your thinking faster than your talking!

What is 24v? 3x 100wattts at what voltage? Are you sure the controller won't work on 24 volts? And are you going to have an inverter? That will definitely need to be built for the proper voltage!

Slow down your thinking faster than your talking!

What is 24v? 3x 100wattts at what voltage? Are you sure the controller won't work on 24 volts? And are you going to have an inverter? That will definitely need to be built for the proper voltage!
The Holiday Rambler has 4x 6v house batteries so I took that to be a 24v system, but I just checked the manual and it’s 12v so I guess the 4 batteries are in 12 volt parallel, I just checked and The charge controller is 12/24v, The inverter in the Holiday Holiday Rambler is a Xantrex system similar to the system we have now but more likely for 50a.

So no problem transferring solar over! Be kind and leave the mounting hardware on the roof of the old rig!

Inverters, like Solar equipment is rated for/in watts!

So no problem transferring solar over! Be kind and leave the mounting hardware on the roof of the old rig!

Inverters, like Solar equipment is rated for/in watts!
So than I will need to get new mounting hardware, probably a good idea anyway and yes I recall the panels are rated in watts I forget how much, the controller should tell me. Now if I can just find the right person to do the job.

So than I will need to get new mounting hardware, probably a good idea anyway and yes I recall the panels are rated in watts I forget how much, the controller should tell me. Now if I can just find the right person to do the job.
Typically on 12v 30amp controller will handle 400 watts.
A 40amp will handle 480. A 50amp 600. A 60amp 720. And so on. The panel voltage needs to be considered. Your controller information tells max voltage it will handle.

24volt system doubles the panel capacity. As an example, 24volt system, 30amp controller will handle 800 watts .

There is a theme playing out here! Called ohm's law! No tricks here!!!

Most small panels are known as 12 volt panels. Meaning they, as single panels will only charge a 12volt system. Run in series the will, but not as single panels!

Latest resources

Back