Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
What is considered “higher mileage” on a used Newmar. I hear all kinds of numbers thrown around. Obviously a well cared coach will last longer but at some point you are headed toward doing more maintenance and fixing things that need repair or replacement. I am looking for general ranges based on your experience.

Last edited:
What a great question @sheridany! I have no idea but I’d be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Way more than 60k. Our 2017 has almost 40k after 2 1/2 years of ownership and the engine/drive train might as well be new. Except for the initial 1 year service, which we had done at Gaffney, I have done all the service and I know it was done well and on time or early. At 100k I believe the drive train, including brakes, will be near new in condition. If you find a coach that is well taken care of I believe mileage is a small factor. (We are NOT full timers)

Way more than 60k. Our 2017 has almost 40k after 2 1/2 years of ownership and the engine/drive train might as well be new. Except for the initial 1 year service, which we had done at Gaffney, I have done all the service and I know it was done well and on time or early. At 100k I believe the drive train, including brakes, will be near new in condition. If you find a coach that is well taken care of I believe mileage is a small factor. (We are NOT full timers)
40k Miles in 2.5 years?! ? How?!

The chassis on a diesel pusher should be good for several hundred thousand miles. The box, if well-cared-for, should be good for at least 20 years. Appliances, etc. will probably have a normal residential lifetime of 5-10 years. I would have no qualms purchasing a diesel pusher with up to 100K miles on the chassis. My preference would be to stay within an age range of 5-7 years or less.

TJ

Last edited:
40k Miles in 2.5 years?! ? How?!
My bad......meant to say 3 1/2 years. Time flies when you travel a lot in your Rv ???

I wouldn’t be that concerned about mileage as much as how old is the coach. I would much rather have a 3 year old coach with 70,000 miles than a 7 year old coach with 15,000 miles. You can probably get 250,000+ out of a set of brakes.

So to answer your question more concerned about how old than mileage

As a retired dealer my experince has always been 60k for motorhomes. Ive bought thousands of motorhomes at dealer auctions and i would never bid or buy a used motorhome with over 60k. I found over the years that it doesnt matter if its gas or diesel 60k was the sweet spot.

I put between 12k and 15k a year on the RV and sell it before it hits 75k or 6 years.

Latest resources

Back