• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What is getting up there in mileage on a Newmar coach

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I was really excited when I started reading all of this. 100-200K miles on a Newmar diesel coach. Then I started to see the limitations on age and I wasn't so happy. Reason .... I just picked up a 2015 Ventana LE with only 7200 miles. I understand the issues related to chassis and engines. They are strong work horses and if properly maintained last a long time.

In regards to age .... why can't the same be said? A well maintained box should last a long time as well. Is it cosmetics? Appliances? What happens at age 5-6 that concerns you?

Age only matters with resale value, due to banks willingness to finance.

If you plan to keep it and not sell, then there is nothing wrong with a 20 year old coach

Age only matters with resale value, due to banks willingness to finance.
If you plan to keep it and not sell, then there is nothing wrong with a 20 year old coach

Ok. Thanks. I understand your point and I feel much better. We went with Newmar (first MH) because of the quality and with the anticipation of keeping it a long time.

Ok. Thanks. I understand your point and I feel much better. We went with Newmar (first MH) because of the quality and with the anticipation of keeping it a long time.
It's more about how you use your coach. If you haven't read about the 10 year rule it would behoove you to read up. Many RV parks don't allow RVs older than 15 years. This is the real limitation on how long your coach will last. It can still be a beauty but!!!

I have seen parks that limit the coach age, but those are the *EXCEPTION* and not the rule. These apply more to resorts, and lots that cater to a luxury crowed. Even those parks that have posted a 10 or 15 year rule do not enforce them. It is more of an excuse to keep the "Cousin Eddies" out, which is kind of dumb way of handling it. I have seen some cousin Eddies in a brand new RV.

We travel a lot, and have been to most of the lower 48 states. You should not worry at all about having an older coach while traveling. There is always going to be plenty of places that you can use the coach.

I have seen parks that limit the coach age, but those are the *EXCEPTION* and not the rule. These apply more to resorts, and lots that cater to a luxury crowed. Even those parks that have posted a 10 or 15 year rule do not enforce them. It is more of an excuse to keep the "Cousin Eddies" out, which is kind of dumb way of handling it. I have seen some cousin Eddies in a brand new RV.

We travel a lot, and have been to most of the lower 48 states. You should not worry at all about having an older coach while traveling. There is always going to be plenty of places that you can use the coach.
I agree that that is how it is used. But that does not change how the financial institutions need to look at that number rule. I have an 83' fifth that has no problem getting into many parks. had a 91' kwick camp tent trailer behind my wing and a Good Sam refused me. Have not been back in a Good Sam's and never will, as the trailer was totally restored as was the bike. When people ask about Good Sam's you can bet I don't recommend them either.

Sorry for the rant that was the first and only time one of my vintage rigs was refused.

Is there an exemption for vintage RV’s?
Nothing in writing. Only the discretion of the manager I guess. A restored or re-manufactured RV is in fact a new RV for all practical purposes. The attraction for many that it is in your park and you get to look at it most of the time up close and personal without going to a show is incentive enough for many parks to let it in.

as @Kevin D Pem stated, some parks are complete jerks. The good sam park rating system is another example of a complete load of manure. Good sam will charge the park to become a good sam park, and then charge them to move up in the ratings. It has very little to do with what the park actually provides, and a whole lot on how much marketing dollars the park pays to GS. I have provided consulting services for many RV park owners over the years and have advised that they raise their standard prices by 10% on all advertised prices, and to drop the paid marketing for GS, FMCA, AAA, etc. They then ask the guest if they have any discount memberships, and no matter what the guest has...they offer a 10% reduction.

All parks have reported increased profits doing this method. The other discount that I recommend is the stay for 6 days, get the 7th for free. This helps to encourage longer stays, which reduces the change over moves in and out. Those change overs are where most of the damage occurs for an RV park.

I will never understand a park that will allow a $35k 8 year old class A into the park, but will deny a fully restored Wander Lodge because its too old. That is plain stupidity.

Looking up the value of my coach on NADA. When it came to mileage I saw this:

Mileage
Mileage MAY be taken into consideration for gas engine only.
Enter Mileage:
(DO NOT use for diesel engines)

Latest resources

Back