Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What is Social Distancing...to you?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
It's interesting hearing differing opinions on what Social Distancing is. Who will you go near? What activities will you do or no longer do? Will you go near friends at the same CG or only stay with your own family? Will you talk to others or be within 10 feet of them such as when walking your dog or taking a bike ride? Then there is the grocery store where it's all for not. Or a haircut. So how are you treating social distancing and what are your parameters or acceptability of what's in reason?

We are limiting our exposure to others whenever possible. Since LadyDi is in a high-risk category due to a pulmonary issue, I am making whatever trips to the store are necessary, and then using proper sanitary protocols when I return. And, since we have a substantial stock of food and water on hand, trips to the store have been few.

Here in Washington state, restaurants, theaters and other public gathering places are closed by order of the governor, so there's little choice but to stay away from large groups. We are just trying to apply some common sense and make the best of the situation. Interestingly, since public gatherings of more than 50 people are banned statewide, even churches can't hold services. Our church has hastily put together a live-streaming worship service. It went well last Sunday and is scheduled to continue each Sunday until restrictions are lifted. It does help ease the feeling of isolation.

I still walk the two Schnauzers down our half-mile lane and back each morning. We live in a rural area, so neighbors are few and, when we happen to meet, we keep a respectful distance between us if we stop to chat. We all feel a responsibility to do our part in helping to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

Today, LadyDi packed a picnic lunch and we took a 100-mile drive through some local scenic areas. Didn't make contact with any other people, but it was nice to get of the house. We'll be doing this at least once a week until the situation eases.

It is helpful that our sticks-and-bricks is located out in the country and away from crowded areas. I can keep busy in the shop, out in the yard, mowing the lawn or the field, working on the coach, etc. LadyDi has been working (remotely, of course) with our granddaughter as she sets up video-conferencing software for her voice coaching business. Surprisingly, since all schools in the state are closed until at least the end of April, her business is thriving. There is always some silver lining in any dark cloud!

TJ

Last edited:
I'm sensing a bit of "prepper" in you Jim! (BTW, @TJ&LadyDi, that's a complement) :)

We're not really social animals anyway, so social distancing to us isn't much different than living our lives as usual. We have replaced handshakes with fist-bumps, or the like. When grocery shopping we keep our distance from the other shoppers. I spray the gas pump handles before I use them. The same with the mailbox down by the road. That's about it.

It's a nice day today. I think I'll go sit in my motorhome and pretend I'm going somewhere...

I'm sensing a bit of "prepper" in you Jim! (BTW, @TJ&LadyDi, that's a complement) :)

We're not really social animals anyway, so social distancing to us isn't much different than living our lives as usual. We have replaced handshakes with fist-bumps, or the like. When grocery shopping we keep our distance from the other shoppers. I spray the gas pump handles before I use them. The same with the mailbox down by the road. That's about it.

It's a nice day today. I think I'll go sit in my motorhome and pretend I'm going somewhere...
I take that as a compliment, @Jim. Thanks.

Over the years, I have been involved in a number of different disaster response activities including wildlands firefighter (in my young and foolish years), FEMA on-call disaster responder and long-time amateur radio operator. That has instilled in me the "Be Prepared" mantra I learned as a Boy Scout.

We routinely keep a couple month's worth of food and essential supplies on hand. And, I am fairly handy with tools in a variety of disciplines, so can construct much of what we need or want.

LadyDi and I grew up and have lived "in the country" most of our lives even though our employment was nearly all in big city areas. We always located our home away from the hustle and bustle so that we had a peaceful retreat to come home to.

TJ

We play pickleball just about every day, once in a while we go “yachting” in our 14’ canoe with friends, and my daily trip to DD for a coffee. Miss Daisy enforces strict “no contact” rules by slipping between us in bed?.
Out great summer travel plans most likely are going down the dump? We just may be staying in FL?

Being in our mid 70’s and living in the SF Bay Area, we have become extremely cognizant of the social distancing and stay at home demands. Just prior to the rules going into effect we were on our way to the FMCA rally in Tucson. So, we stopped in Malibu California for 3 days and then headed back home.
At an overnight stop at Flying Flags rv park in Buellton California we were extremely disappointed at the cavalier attitude of the younger Rv crowd. They seemed to be taking the time off to take the kids on an Rv vacation, party with friends and let the kids play as though it were all a big game, social distancing be damned.
I guess it’s going to take a death of one of their friends/loved ones for the seriousness of situation to sink in.

We have noticed the same thing. It seems that the seriousness of the situation has not yet sunk in. On the drive we took the other day (just to get out of the house), we passed several large gatherings of people at a trailhead parking lot, an outdoor market, a park, etc. Mostly young families and kids. They seem to think they are invincible--or, that coronavirus is "fake news."

Coronavirus is no joke and spares no age group despite the first thoughts that the young weren't contracting the disease as much as older groups. Now that testing is underway around the world, we're finding that the young can frequently have only mild symptoms, BUT can pass the diseae along to others just the same as if they had more serious symptoms.

To be clear, on our drive, we did not stop to mix with anyone on our route. It was just nice to have a change of scenery. We don't think we are being paranoid; just cautious since we are both in high-risk categories. And, we do believe that the coronavirus is serious business and we all need to do our part in helping to overcome it.

TJ

We have continued to modify our routine because of needing to distance ourselves from others. There is only one other couple we will sit down and have a meal with or play cards with. They are good friends that have been camped next to us all winter and they are taking the situation as serious as we are. Like us, they have limited their contact with anyone.

One of the things we have consistently done all winter was a couple times a week take off on our motorcycles for the day. These rides always involved a restaurant as a lunch destination. We still ride but instead of ending up at some new restaurant we seek out different city or county parks as a destination. Zero contact with others.

When I do my morning walk we may stop and have a quick conversation but for the most part people are staying at least 4 or 5 feet apart.

The issue is grocery store checkout lanes. I try to avoid them but the last couple times at Walmart the self check isles have been more backed up than the regular lanes.

I could not avoid taking my SUV to the dealer for an oil change Saturday. I didn't wait in the building but walked around outside instead for an hour. Two different salesmen approached me thinking I was car shopping. One came within 3 or 4 feet before I backed away from him. The other one never got any closer than 10 feet. I guess we just do the best we can.

How about people in the produce section, that have touch and squeeze 20 items before getting one? I watched one guy in a wheel chair, got a bag of grapes, started eating while rolling around. Than went back, and put the half eaten bag back in the same place.

Several trips in the RV canceled, International Rally and Grand Circle caravan in question. I was in wallyworld this morning at 7:00 am. More employees than customers. Everyone was keeping their distance.

Latest resources

Back